How can I teach my son to channel his anger in a more safe and positive manner?

I have a 4 year old that has the worse temper and when he is angry he will one of several things like cry or scream or hit his head against a wall or cuss or try and harm other children he has already been kicked out of one daycare becasue of his actions and me and my husband have done pretty much everything to try to stop this kind of behavior.......

jvrobi167

Asked by jvrobi167 at 8:19 AM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• We have a child with an awful temper too. We started by telling her when she got very angry at someone to put her hands behind her back and count to 10 everyrtime she felt as if she was going "boil over". After this we started being harsher, for example everytime she got very angry and hurt somebody we would put her in time-out and just keep repeating to show that this behaviour was not acceptable. We also found sending her to a karate class for little ones really helped, any type of exercise really to just channel everything they're feeling into something else so they're generally calmer when at home. We found it really helped us and she still has a temper but it's much more under wraps.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 8:36 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• my daughter wrote the best selling book on tantrums

i fund a simple, colorful book with fold outs about emotions, she loved it because the pages folded out, very colorful we talked about emotions when looking at book, especailly the mad page, i would say angry and make a face, pound the table (better than her punding her head) she started to pound her fist on table when mad instead of head on the wood door

letting her know that ok to be mad, and react is good, if table pounding not ok, try one of those blow up punching things, the ones that you punch and they tip then come back up, or a special pillow to slam fist into???

gl
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:41 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Martial arts teaches discipline i used that for my 17 year old.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:17 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Most importantly, by modeling good problem-solving methods.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 10:29 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Well you are right, they act out because they are mad and don't have the tools to properly vent that anger. I think the ladies above gave some good suggestions. The book Mean Soup is fun to read together too. I think perhaps Karate is a good idea.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:08 AM on Jul. 13, 2010