anyone ever make a "quilt" from old sweaters?

i have seen when done and they were home made
would love to put ugly sweaters to good use, but i have no knitting skills at all
(hoping no need for knitting skills)

fiatpax

Asked by fiatpax at 9:06 AM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• It sure would like neat but how would you keep the yarn from unraveling after being cut. You might be able to hand stich the squares together with a yarn and yarn needle.
    cwahmommie

Answer by cwahmommie at 4:17 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• No - but I did it with t-shirts. It looks great! I've never thought to do with sweaters. But I'm sure it would nice. Just cut the squares the size you want, figure out how many squares you want on the front and back, then lay them out, pin them together, and sew the front. Then do the same with the back. If you only want the front to be made out of sweaters then find soem material you want to put as a backer and either cut to fit the front or cut the squares and sew them together. Then get soem batting and pin the front to the batting then the back to that. Then quilt it. I also do borders after the quilt is put together. Good luck!
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 4:05 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• my concern was the unraveling too
    would love to try it
    can get really ugly 1980's sweaters from thift store, some sweaters you would never wear but could make cool blanket
    fiatpax

Comment by fiatpax (original poster) at 5:24 PM on Jul. 13, 2010