How long do you put your toddler in time out?

Just wondering for those moms out there that use the time out method, how long do you or did you put your little one in the corner? What else did you do when they wouldn't listen? I haev a 20 1/2 month old so we're trying different things. The time out method is working really well for us. Just looking for some moms to talk to. Thanks!

Adeline1210

Asked by Adeline1210 at 9:56 AM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Go by the age--My 5 year old sits for 5 minutes and my 3 year old sits for 3 mins.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 9:57 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Usually about 5 to 10 minutes depending on what she did.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 9:58 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• We do a minute per age. However, when they don't apologize they stay longer until they do!
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 9:58 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• i do a minute for their age.... 2 years = 2 mins, 3 years = 3 mins.....
    MommyToEthan

Answer by MommyToEthan at 9:58 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• how old they are is the min they are in time out. (sometimes i cant wait though)
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 9:58 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Supernanny says a minute per year of age.

Answer by Bmat at 9:59 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I never put my child in a corner. I think it shames and belittles them...I just don't agree with it. We do sit them in what we call "think about it" One minute per year old. When the time is up, I do not demand an appology, as if it is forced it doesn't mean anything anyway. I ask them to tell me why the are in think about it, and what a better choice of behavior would have been.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:03 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• if my son mis-behaves i put him in time-out for 3mins(he is 3 and 1/2) a min per year of age is sufficient.
    shell394

Answer by shell394 at 10:19 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• We do by age so he's nearly 2 he gets 2 mins... UNLESS he did something super naughty then it's longer OR he's having a tantrum... time out isn't finished until he's calm no matter how long he's been there.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:58 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• When possible, I try to allow for natural consequences...i.e. feed the dog, no more food (I won't give her more), don't share with your brother, then mommy and brother don't want to pay with you, don't let me get you ready (fix hair, diaper, etc.), then you don't go out, pull the dog's hair and he growls/nips at you (my dogs are very good about not biting)etc. When natural consequences aren't forthcoming, time out is one minute per year. No toys and no talking in time out (or at least, I don't respond to her). When time out is up, I get down to her level and remind her why she is there and what the proper behavior should have been. I make her apologize (if appropriate) or promise to try harder next time. Then I give her a hug and a kiss and tell her I love her. Then it is over...we don't dwell on it but I will put her back in time out over and over again if she continues the behavior (which isn't wholly uncommon).
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:54 AM on Jul. 13, 2010