My DD Damaged My Car Part 2

So, the estimate came in - $6700, after $500 deductible. And get this, it's going to take 3 weeks to fix it...Insurance pays for a rental for 30 days, so that's not an issue. As we discussed yesterday, I explained to my DD that she was responsible for paying the deductible. She had the audacity to tell me, "It's just cosmetic, I don't see what the big deal is." Um, you wrecked my car! My question....does that comment warrant additional punishment - other than MY head spinning?

mpeada

Asked by mpeada at 10:22 AM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• If it were me, I would probably have looked her square in the eye, and said "Okay then, no makeup for you until my car is fixed. After all, it's just cosmetic, so it's no big deal."
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 10:23 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Love that answer mommy11260!!!

Well if she's not worried about the car, then she really doesn't have the maturity to need to use it. I wouldn't allow her to use it anymore unless it's absolutely necessary.

If she wants a car, then she can get a job, buy the car and pay the insurance. Then we will see just how important being careful is.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:26 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• haha I love mommy11206's idea!
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:26 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• yes, IMO, it does warrant an additional punishment. she has no right to talk back to you; you are the mother and she is the daughter. ground her, take sometime away. i like what pp said about the makeup. lol
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 10:28 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I would probably tell her that she cannot drive for 6 months and see how she likes trying to get a ride everywhere. Kids hate to bum rides from friends. Or take away stuff she wants and deduct it from what she would owe you...
    juju0707

Answer by juju0707 at 10:28 AM on Jul. 13, 2010