Gardners: How is your veggie garden doing?? :)

This is our first year having a real vegetable garden. In the beginning, I was a little skeptical, thinking it just wasn't going to turn out that great. We've been putting a lot of time and love into it...and yesturday...I went out there to do some weeding and some other things and was delighted to find some really big cucumbers growing out there already...and the tomatoes are doing great, the watermelons and ballooning out, we were able to pick a banana pepper...and my daughter stole a bright red cherry tomato off the vine and ate it,lol and everything else is doing really well in there too!
I'm actually proud of us,lol. Only one problem...were never gonna be able to eat it all! lol
Family and friends are going to be loving us soon,lol.
Tell me about your garden!

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 10:30 AM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Home & Garden

• It has been very hot and humid here and very dry with no end in sight. My tomatoes are doing lovely, but I am having a hard time with keeping my cucumbers hydrated enough. They need tons of water. I use Miracle Grow and it really really helps. I have picked 2 green peppers so far, and they are wonderful, and I had a bumper crop of strawberries...so I canned about 16 jars of jam for the winter. I live in Ohio, so it is kind of early in the season for us to be expecting any kind of harvest. It is however blueberry season here and this weekend we are going to pick so I can freeze some for baking and can more sweet jam! Glad you are enjoying your garden...very satisfying don't you think?
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:34 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Well, my squash died this year. It got that powdery mildew stuff, which suck because it is a spore & can infect any plants that are related to cucumbers, squash & melons. REALLY hoping my other cucurbits will be OK. My watermelons are getting pretty big, one of them never grew larger than my head, but it was still yummy when i ate it. My tomatoes are out of control, they got a lot bigger than they did last year. I think i planted them too early. But,we have LOTS of tomatoes, they are just turning into trees practically & becoming hard to maintain. Sweet peppers are good, already harvested about 8 peppers & waiting for them to fruit some more. My cucumbers where very shy in the beginning, but they are finally growing big. Although, the cucumbers are all REALLY bent. They look like the letter "U", but they taste great. Very excited about my sweet potatoes, i think i planted too many, will be making sweet potato everything!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:37 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Mine's is doing pretty good! lots of stuff growing and doing well. this was our first year having a garden, so we had no expectations. some things didn't grow, maybe birds ate the seeds, idk. so, I went to a nursery and bought a few things to replace them :)
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 10:39 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Our green pepper plants have all died from some fungus, but the jalapenos ones are doing great. Our strawberries and blackberries did wonderful this year and our cantaloupes are spreading out all over the place! We've picked about 11 pickling cucumbers so far and lots of broccoli. We have tons of tomatoes that are still green and the green beans and peas are taking off.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:41 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Last summer was our first summer in this house and we started a veggie garden but got so much rain in June and July that we harvested almost nothing, it was quite depressing....but this year, OMG! Our garden is great! Minus a few days of having some critter eat 2 large cucumbers, an eggplant, 2 zucchinis and a squash, ARGH! A little additional fencing seems to have fixed that issue, knock on wood. Now our sugary tomatoes are starting to turn red, and we have a zillion of them. Yesterday I noticed the first of many plum tomatoes turning orange, we have about 15 large beefsteak tomatoes that we are waiting on. The zucchini and squash is rebounding from the critter, and we have a few eggplants and green and red peppers that are getting bigger every day. Our broccoli is so-so this year, not sure why, and I hope our brussels sprouts do well, they are a late harvest. We also have beans, onions and lettuce =)
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 11:06 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• My cucumber are growing like crazy, we've been getting about 5-7 cucumbers a day off two plants. My tomatoes are LOADED (the cherry tomato plant is taller than I am!), but they are just starting to turn. I told my husband that I'm going to throw a paper bag over my plants if they don't start turning soon... Hey it works with bananas and peaches! :)
    warrenfamily95

Answer by warrenfamily95 at 11:13 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Ours isn't doing too bad considering the weather we've been having (we're in SWPA) I have zucchinni, butternut squash, eggplant, cucumbers, tomatoes, cantaloupe, corn, potatoes (2 varieties), strawberries, broccoli, kohlrabi and a few yellow onions that are still alive in the garden, but some things aren't doing too well, like the cantaloupe & corn (something ate most of the plants) & zucchinni (no clue, it was fine, then it wasn't, but it's still alive). I've already harvested most of the onions, as well as the shallots & strawberries. I was picking eggplant & onions again this morning and the cucumbers, broccoli & kohlrabi look like they'll be ready next week to pick, too. I also have an asparagus patch, but it only produces edible spears in the early Spring, and I have a couple of fruit trees, but they won't have fruit until Fall. I also have an herb garden, but the only thing growing well in there right now is the oregano.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 3:07 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• My garden is horrible this year. May and June were cold and rainy. And I broke my ankle so can't work in the garden right now. The flowers are beautiful but for veggies we only have tomatoes, onions and wheat this year. We planted lettuce but it was even too cold for it to come up. Just been a strange summer this year and I miss all my pumpkins, squash, peppers, herbs and potatoes. We have lots of berry bushes and fruit trees but even they are not setting fruit like they should.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 7:31 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• We live in Ohio too, Salexander! It has been like misery here with the heat this year, but for some reason, I think the humidity is really agreeing with our garden. We did get rain this a.m. But I don't think quite enugh to satisfy the plants so I'll be out there watering it later today.
    We planted brussels too..but havent seen anything come from them.Never done them before, so not sure how they work,lol..the plant itself looks healthy, so I guess thats a good thing.
    Lettuce and cabbage is literally out of control out there! LOL Anyone know if lettuce is supposed to be kinda tacked up like a entwined in a piece of fencing so it grows up instead of laying on the ground? Its got to be a good 4 feet tall out there! But its spreading outward too on the ground.

ANYWAY..Happy grdening everyone! Looks like were all having a pretty good plant year! YAY! :)
    kimberlyinberea

Comment by kimberlyinberea (original poster) at 11:15 AM on Jul. 13, 2010