any one out there at can give me ideas for side dishes with dinner. Usual standby is either potatoes or mac and cheese. Have tried rice but my girls will not eat it. Is cousios different then rice?

momindiana

Asked by momindiana at 10:37 AM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Cous-cous is different from rice, but I don't care for the texture. There are lots of different ways to fix potatoes and pastas ... try a cold pasta salad instead of mac and cheese, or oven roasted potatoes drizzled with butter and garlic. Rice can be really good when fixed with vegetable broth instead of water, and you can add all sorts of veggies right in with it too! And why not serve 2 veggies with dinner instead of those extra carbs? I do this at least once a week!
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 10:42 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Lipton noodle sides, baked potatos, sweet potatos, broccoli/califlower and cheese
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:42 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Yes, Cous Cous is a tiny pasta. You could try rice-a-roni or sweet potatoes for a change. Also, try the rice in broccoli rice casserole. They may eat it because of the cheese. Our son will now eat boiled broccoli because I let him help me "build" the casserole. Broccoli, then mushroom soup, then cheez whiz, then rice. Stir & eat, or bake for 45 mins at 350. He prefers the casserole unbaked, but warm, and prefers the broccoli boiled without butter if he eats it alone.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 10:44 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• cous cous is rolled semolina. It's delicious.
    Are you specifically looking for starch sides? Try potatos or cauliflower gratin, grilled seasoned potato 'chips'. You can also fool around with different types of noodles -- I like soba noodles in a peanut sauce, which is great with anything asian inspired, even if it's grilled chicken breasts with an asian marinade. Potato salads and different types of slaws are an idea too. Try a roasted red potato salad or a warm red cabbage slaw. Here's my favorite couscous recipe:
    3 cups cooked couscous*
    1/2 a basket of cherry tomatoes, halved
    1 medium cucumber, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
    1 cup cooked chickpeas

1 lemon, cut in half
    1 lime, cut in half
    about 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
    fine grain sea salt
    freshly ground pepper

1/3 cup basil or cilantro, chopped
    1/3 cup feta cheese, crumbled
    cont
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 10:45 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• "Couscous is a coarsely ground semolina pasta that is a dietary staple in North African countries. It is also widely used in Middle Eastern countries and has become popular in American dishes. It is made of semolina, flour, salt, and water. Similar to rice in shape, color, and texture, it is used in many dishes as rice would be. A grain of couscous is similar in size to a grain of sugar."

Try beans.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 10:45 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Combine the couscous, tomatoes, cucumber, and chickpeas in a large bowl. start by giving a good squeeze of lemon and lime juice into the bowl, add the olive oil, and some salt and pepper. Toss well, taste, and adjust with more of the above until it tastes just right. Lori notes - this really needs a generous amount of salt, and the lemon and lime juices might need to be adjusted depending on how juicy the fruit is.

Add the basil and feta and toss gently until it is evenly dispersed.

Serves 4 - 6.

*To cook the couscous: Either follow the package instructions or bring 3 1/2 cups of water to a boil, stir in a scant 2 teaspoons fine grain sea salt and 2 cups of couscous. Cover and remove from heat. Steam for 5 to 10 minutes and then use a fork to fluff up the couscous.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 10:46 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Periogies are a good side dish.
    Applesauce is a good change. My kids like the new Wacky Mac made with veggies
    karglynn

Answer by karglynn at 11:19 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• We love cous cous. We get the larger, Israeli style. Toast it it lightly in a sauce pan. When it is brown add 1 cup of water or soup stock for each cup of cous cous. My kids love it.

We also use orzo (a rice shaped pasta,) quinoa, and taboule (bulgar wheat salad, can also be made with quinoa.)

To make the rice a little different, try substituting orange juice for 1/2 of the water. The more you eat it and show that you enjoy it, the more open your kids will be (might take a few years, but its worked for us.)
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:30 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• We eat pasta of all sorts mixed with pesto and I fix squash with pesto
    drfink

Answer by drfink at 3:28 PM on Jul. 13, 2010