Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

My sisters husband was sentenced to 6 months in jail yesturday.

About 4-5 months ago, my sisters house was raided by FBI and the Swat Team for drug trafficking. Her husband had been selling marijuana. At that time, my sister wasn't worried about it because he was released from jail within 2 days and scheduled a court date.I don't think she was prepared for him to be sentenced to 6 months. My sister and I are not that close (long story) but our dad txtd me this morning and told me what happened. She's a stay at home mom of two young children. She doesnt have a h.s. diploma, very little job experience. What can she do now? I'm worried about her and the kids.I wish I could offer for her to stay with us, but we have no room.DO you know of anyone thats been in this situation..what did they do?


Asked by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Relationships

This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • She should probably get some cash aid, go to the counties job training program and they will help her with childcare then she could be a bit more employable. She should find affordable housing however her man may not get to move in because now he has a drug charge but it at least would get her and the kids through until he can get out and go back to work to afford his familly. It sounds like she needed to work anyway if he was selling weed to make $$$ (Not a bash)
    I know you have deep love for your sister but do not let her move in you will not enjoy the behavior of her children on a fulltime basis as tehy have become accustomed to a different level of people. However, help[ her out when you can by having the kids a bit more so perhaps they can see how a more functional family unit responds. Good Luck Sista!!!!

    Answer by mom2priceboys at 10:49 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

  • you sister better go apply for assistance ASAP

    Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:44 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

  • I agree with peanutsmommy1. She is in a situation where she needs assistance NOW. They will be able to give her emergency food stamps same day as appt. and probably TANF (Cash assistance) but that will take a little longer. I am assuming that she will use the cash she gets through TANF to pay her rent. Depending on the ages of her children, there are certain requirements for her to receive TANF. They will train her in certain areas (unsure of details). They will help her find a job and they will help pay for a babysitter or daycare. She should be able to make an appointment today or first thing tomorrow because this would be an emergency. I would recommend that she call Dept. of Social Services FIRST to make sure what paperwork she will need to bring. Also, if she has a child or children under 5, have her go to the WIC (Women, Infant, Children) and get signed up ~ they help supplement w/ things like milk, cereal, etc.

    Answer by 7blessings at 11:08 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

  • tell her to get her shit straight because thats all she can do now. sacrifice. tell her to go get a ged and then go to a trade school or something and find a career so she can take care of her babies. that man is obviously no good, and someone needs to tell her that too. help her out as much as you can. offer to babysit every once in a while, help her look for schools and a job. just be there for her =)

    Answer by xmama_bellax at 11:05 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

  • Tell her to go get all the assistance she can get.Cash aid,food stamps,etc.Apply 4 housing assistance right away since there is a waitlist.Idk where ur staying and how long ur is.Apply for school,get all the free grants that will pay for her school and free programs that will give her money a semester for being a single parent if she takes a certain amount of units.They have it here where I live called EOPS/CARE and they even pay for ur daycare oncampus or offcampus while in school.just have to look into it.U can get u GED at the college also.she can even take a pt job a fastfood place or go to a temp acengy.Just b there for her n her kids n help her out anyway u can.I know how it is.My kids dad is locked up but we ain't together,just friends.I've been in her shoes b4.

    Answer by brokenheartmom at 11:16 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

  • well, xmama bellax, if she knew what he was doing then she isn't any better huh? Anyways, she needs to get on some assistance and tell her if she chooses to still be with him after he gets out she needs to definitely take up a trade or get a degree asap so that she will be able to take care of her kids w/o him. 6 mos isn't that long but if he went for drug trafficking then that's a federal crime (felony) and that will be on his record for a long time. So most likely he'll be doing the same thing unless he really wants to change, and he'll be gone for even longer the next time. Its not worth it and she needs to leave him alone. be there to support her emotionally but she needs to figure this out on her own.

    Answer by DaGoodLife at 11:18 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

  • she definitely needs a job and if she needs training on MS Office have her check the Library they have free classes usually at least they do around here.  And she needs to stay awy from him when he gets out. 


    Answer by karglynn at 11:25 AM on Jul. 13, 2010