My 7 month son is allergic to cats....what should i do?

He has red spots all over his chest, back, and neck.
It's from our cat.
My boyfriend won't get rid of the cat.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Jul. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• you get rid of the cat or get rid of the bf that thinks the cat is more important than your son's health.

did you take your son to the doctor to actually have him tested to make sure it's an allergy to the cat though?
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:41 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• whos more important? your bf or your son? i would throw his ignorant ass out of my house along with that stupid cat.

xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 10:42 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• If it were me either the cat or the boyfriend & the cat would go! Other than that, talk to the pediatrician and see if you can give him anything for allergies.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 10:42 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• then get rid of your boyfriend
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:42 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• You can bathe the cat once a week in a mild cat shampoo from the drug store or you can go to the vet and request a shampoo that will be okay for frequent bathing for the cat. Generally, people are allergic to the oils in an animals skin and dander rather than the hair itself.
    My dad is allergic to dogs and cats and we had cats and dogs for years and he still does and has no problem because they are frequently bathed.
    It may take some getting used to on the cats part,lol..they usually don't care too much for baths, but with time, it will get used to it.
    Good Luck, Hope this helps.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:45 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• get rid of the boyfriend & the cat. what a douche.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 10:56 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Ibuprofin is toxic to cats and dogs. just sayin :) also, he needs to get rid of the cat because allergies when they are being dealt with on a constant basis weaken the immune system and your baby can actually get whats called allergy overload and get sinus infections or other things. just get rid of the stupid cat. a human takes precedence over a pet especially a stupid freaking cat!
    strawberryLVR

Answer by strawberryLVR at 10:59 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Well if my boyfriend wouldn't get rid of the cat I would be moving out with my son....The cat needs to go..it isn't fair to have to apply topical ailments and give your baby an uncomfortable time just because your boyfriend wants to keep the cat. Baby's health first...if your boyfriend isn't going to do that I would get rid of the cat myself or move out.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 10:59 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• You take the Boyfriend to the pediatrician to have the doctor tell the stupid boyfriend to GET RID OF THE CAT. Otherwise stupid boyfriend is going to have the kid around the cat during visitation and then what kind of hell is your son going to be put through.  Your boyfriend is a douche, but you are stuck with him, because even if you walk out, he is still the kid's dad.  So you have to do something to get him to grow up!    If the won't listen to the doctor maybe he will listen to his mother or father.  Good luck! 

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 11:07 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• As much as I love cats it would have to go...along with the boyfriend if he was going to be such a jerk about it.  My son developed a cat allergy at 5.  We had cats when he was a baby but got rid of them when one kept scratching my oldest daughter.  And I had these cats ever since I was a child.  It was hard but the kids came first.  We were about to get a kitten when my son suddenly had a huge allergic reaction inside the pet store (took about 15 minute to go from normal to eye swelled shut, both completely bloodshot, hives breaking out all over and his lips turning blue).  We rushed him to the doctor and gave him benadryl.  He's severely allergic to cats so we won't be having any.  He told me when he grows up and moves out he's getting me a cat because I really wanted one.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:11 AM on Jul. 13, 2010