How do I get my carpet to smell better it smells of cat(not pee) just cat?

I don't know what to do I run the sweeper alot, I have candles lit all the time but it's the actual carpet that stinks of cat. Will shampooing it help or should I use something else instead?

baby1love

Asked by baby1love at 10:48 AM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Rent a shampoo-er :)
    For quick fixes you can sprinkle on some pet fresh carpet powder, let it sit for a while then vacume up.
    Or sprinkle on some baking soda, let it sit for about 1/2 an hour then vacume...or baby powder.
    The baking soda will absorb some of the smell.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:51 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• yes, shampooing the carpet will help.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:49 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Yes shampoo it. I have a Bissell Steam Vac and it is one of the most used appliance in my house. I shutter at the thought of what my carpets would look like if we didn't have it. Bissell makes a lavender scent shampoo that smells SO GOOD.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 10:51 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I like the arm&hammer carpet freshener line. They also have one for pet lovers!!! Sprinkle the powder over the carpet and let it set for about 30 mins, do it as offten as you like(daily, every other day, weekly, bi-weekly, etc); costs about $1.75/box at family dollar, dollar general, walmart, etc; the box can last up to 3 days depending on use and size of carpetted area. GL
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 10:54 AM on Jul. 13, 2010