Just got a divorce should I get my lawyer something to thank her?

I've been wanting to give my lawyer a thank you note and have been debating over giving her a gift card or something. My friend says just a note is fine. What do you think??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Relationships

• I wouldn't even do that. She did her job. Do you give the checker at Walmart a thank you card for doing their job?
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:06 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I agree with Jademom.. I wouldn't do a thing.. Its her job.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:10 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• lol the bill you're going to have to pay is enough, unless she did it for free then I would say a thank you gift should suffice.
    DaGoodLife

Answer by DaGoodLife at 11:12 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I agree with "DaGoodLife"
    Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 11:22 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• A divorce attorney is not the same as a checker at Walmart! A divorce attorney provides a very personal service to you, and often provides a lot of emotional support. If you feel your attorney did something special for you then writing her a nice thank-you note is very appropriate. Since you are likely also paying some pretty hefty fees for her services a gift is not necessary.  If you received legal services for free or at a great discount, then a gift would be nice.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:30 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Yes, she did her job, but how many of us appreciate the recognition for a job well done? Doesn't mean we always get recognition, but I know we all appreciate it. I say send her a thank you card.
    LTaylor

Answer by LTaylor at 11:30 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I would take her out for a nice dinner to celebrate...but that's just me, I felt like I developed a bond with my lawyer through the divorce and was very grateful for all she did
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 11:30 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• You don't even need to do the note. When you pay your (assuredly outrageous) bill - that will be thanks enough. Of course if you just want to send a note - then do so, but gifts aren't needed.
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 11:37 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• In a typical situation, I would say neither is required. You (or someone) paid her quite well, I'm sure, for her to do her job.

However, if she did the whole divorce for free, or went above and beyond (eg, didn't bill for extra phone calls/meetings, was able to get a far better settlement than you'd been promised, was personally supportive for you without billing for it, came to your house for meetings if you couldn't get a babysitter, etc) then a thank you card would definitely be appropriate. Depending on how much extra she has done for you, a small gift card might be nice as well, and if you have built a personal relationship with her, you could even add her to your Christmas list.
    SAHM_USAF

Answer by SAHM_USAF at 12:13 PM on Jul. 13, 2010