Potty training relapse. Don't know what to do

My daughter has been having a successful potty week. she has used the potty every time I ask her if she has to (usually after lunch, or whenever she has a drink) but today she had two bowel movements and didn't let me know she had to go and it wasn't during her regular time (a little runny too). I'm just a little frustrated because I've been trying to toilet train since she was 2 (she'll be 3 this Sept) and she's FINALLY willing and excited to do it. Problem is, i have to ask her if she has to go and she'll let me know or not. So she knows the sensation of having to pee or poo but she won't say anything first. How do i get her to speak up and let me know when she has to go?

DaGoodLife

Asked by DaGoodLife at 11:08 AM on Jul. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have four children. The best advice I can give you is to be patient. When they are really ready they basically potty train themselves. When you force the issue it is frustrating for both of you.

Positive re-enforcement is always better. For everytime she goes potty she gets a sticker, after XX number of stickers she gets a toy or a special treat.

Make a chart and let her put the stickers on it, when she does have accidents play it down and don't give it very much attention. When she gets the most attention for going potty, she will have a greater desire to perform.
    DreamGone

Answer by DreamGone at 11:25 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I wish I had advice to give you, but I've been trying to potty train my daughter for the past 6 months and have had no luck!
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 11:12 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• my son is 4 and he still has problems some times but they will get it one day LOL good luck
    shannonsmom555

Answer by shannonsmom555 at 11:16 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I've potty trained 6 kids in total. They are all different. Potty relapses happen for lots of reasons. Sickness, and stress are probably the biggest two. If she isn't feeling well or she's trying to come down with something it might have her a bit off kilter. Any changes in the household can do it too. Sometimes, we just don't know why. I have one child that is 6 and still rarely tells me he has to go. I just have to send him potty regularly. If I say "it's time to go potty" and he says I don't have to I say "I didn't ask you if you needed to go I said it is time to go try". He is challenged and training with him has been a 3 yr long ordeal. I would considere him 95% trained now...but I still have to supervise his potty time closely. Good Luck, just be consistant.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:22 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Thanks everyone!
    DaGoodLife

Comment by DaGoodLife (original poster) at 11:27 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• It happens. They will have accidents. Just keep asking her and before you know it she'll just tell you. I was the same way. They will get it one day.
    randerykah

Answer by randerykah at 11:29 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I agree with randerykah. Accidents aren't necessarily set backs they are just accidents. Maybe she is tired, not feeling well etc... Try not to let an accident make you frustrated, I know it's hard but she will get it and before you know it she will be telling you. My son took a long time to tell us too.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 1:01 PM on Jul. 13, 2010