My eight month old son doesnt want anything to do with baby food, and I cant not feed him, what are some good suggestions on food I can give him?

He doesnt like mush. He likes solid food (not too solid though). I give him noodles, and i put them on the high chair and he eats them. I also give him rye bread with a tiny bit of butter. I'll chop op carrots, green beans, and other veggies, cook them, let them cool, and let him eat them. I dont know what is ok for him to eat though, and his doctor is a complete moron.

xmama_bellax

Asked by xmama_bellax at 11:09 AM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Food & Drink

• at that age, I gave my kiddos what ever we were eating, I just made sure it was cut up really tiny and was not overly spicey...

There is a book that is awesome at letting you know when to introduce certian foods, it also has great recipes :)

Super Baby Food.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 11:13 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• well baby food tastes nasty puree or cut up what you cook and feed him that just less seasonings than you would normally put in your food salt it up for yourself after you put it on our plate
    jennette0704

Answer by jennette0704 at 11:13 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• He seems to like texture that chewable; meaning he can feel it unlike a rice cereal that is textured but already mushy. Try brown rice, go easy with broccoli because they can produce gas, squash, zuccini, nectarines, anything soft enough to sollow after a few mashing chomps. When trying new foods and juices try 1 kind in a 24 hr period because if an allergy should occur its easier to pinpoint the likely source(example: apple juice; day 1 w/ 1 type of veggie; grape juice day 2, w' another type of veggie, ect and so forth). GL and have fun!!!!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 11:17 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• My daughter was the same way, and at 8 months she was eating whatever we would eat but cut into tiny pieces.
    hornz102485

Answer by hornz102485 at 11:17 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• i AM EXPERIENCING THE SAME THING WITH MY LITTLE ONE WE FEED HIM WHAT WE EAT AND TRY TO MAKE HEALTHY CHOICES LIKE MAKING SURE HE GETS ENOUGH VEGGIES AND FRIUTS. i AM NOT SURE IF YOU NURSE OR NOT BUT IT IS ALSO A GOOD THING TO PUMP SOME MILK AND LET IT CHILL FROM TIME TO TIME IT HELPS WITH THE TEETHING TOO!
    Mrs.Hatch

Answer by Mrs.Hatch at 11:23 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• It sounds like you are doing fine :)

Having the mushy baby food is not a requirement, but 8-9 months you can finely shop up almost everything you are eating-- I think by 9 months even meats are ok. Yogurts are ok as well-- my kids loved yogurts. The thing is, how well is she chewing-- if she can handle noodles, let her have noodles. Same goes for things like cheerios, soft veggies and fruits. Babyfoods and pretty nasty and flavorless, even making your own mashed sweet potatoes with roasted sweet potatoes with give a lot more flavor and texture feedback and make transitioning onto 'real' food easier. Just go easier (or skip) the salts and sugars when possible.
    reelo

Answer by reelo at 11:24 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• At 8 months, my son was eating whatever I was eating. I just made sure to cut the pieces up very well. For instances, if we were having lemon pepper chicken, rice, green beans, and a roll - then that is exactly what he had too! For lunch he ate mostly fruits, deli meats, cheese sticks and bagles (he loves bagels). For breakfast - oatmeal (the adult kind), yogurt, pancakes, sausage (very mild sausage) and whatever (but we didn't do eggs until he was 12 months). He's now just 2 days shy of 13 months and he eats everything and anything - just 2 days ago he had stuffed bell peppers for dinner and LOVED it!
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 11:44 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Sounds exactly like my oldest, down to the rye bread. Just give him some of what you are eating. Or you can lightly mash a banana or other piece of fruit. "Baby" food is not a requirement; just make sure that what you are giving him is in small, "chewable" pieces. A big favorite of his and his sister was opening a can of refried beans (complete with jalapenos, but not spicy) and spoon feeding them. They are still huge fans of beans.

My youngest tackled an apple on his own with 4 teeth at 9 months - surprised the heck out of me. He was also eating coffee beans (dh is a coffee roaster and they fall out of his clothing sometimes. The baby would crawl over and eat them.)
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:26 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I don't know if it is still available, but I used to own this really great baby/toddler cookbook called Feed Me I'm Yours. It had really great recipes in it. BTW, I almost never fed my baby babyfood. It was just too expensive. I just took what we were having, blended it and strained it if needed,(peas), then fed it to her. She is now 6 and VERY healthy. I have read articles, however that say to not feed a baby certain types of food unless it's organic. I would just buy cans or fresh organic carrots, peas, green beans, potatoes, pears, peaches, bananas, season them as you like, without honey of course. Just look up recipes online. works great and much cheaper.
    sciteachr

Answer by sciteachr at 1:04 PM on Jul. 13, 2010