Would you hide.......

The fact that your offspring is gay to family and friends.? or would you be like me and tell the world about my wonderful daughter the lesbian? would you be ashamed or proud?

Asked by older at 11:20 AM on Jul. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • Pffff. Screw 'em if they don't like it. My sister is gay and while I don't run through the streets yelling "SHE'S GAY! SHE'S GAY!!" when I'm referencing her and her family in conversation I have no problem saying "my sister and her wife". I certainly wouldn't pretend she wasn't gay or avoid the topic. I refer to her and her spouse just like I would anyone else.

deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 1:05 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I wouldn't make a big deal about it.  If the subject came up I wouldn't hide it but I wouldn't feel a need to shout it from the roof.  But I wouldn't do that for a straight kid either.  I'd probably be excited if they found that special someone and talk about that.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:25 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I'd tell the people who's business it is.With her permission of course....

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:22 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Why would I do that? I don't run around telling friends or family about my wonderful "straight" offspring. What happens in their bedroom is their business and not a source of public conversation. I f I found my kids talking about my sex life I would be very upset.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:26 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• It's not my job to tell the world about someone else. I wouldn't deny it but wouldn't shout it from the roof tops. Some people think it's personal and I don't think it's right to spread it.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:27 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I wouldn't be ashamed to tell someone if they asked. As others have said though, I wouldn't offer it up because it isn't my personal life to share. If one of my children turns out to be gay I would support him/her and if I had to defend his/her life to other members of my family (and I know that I would) I wouldn't think twice about doing so.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 11:42 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• If asked, I'd tell with her permission. I would not say "she's going through a phase" or "she just hasn't met the right man yet". I would answer the same if she were to be strait or gay. Who she loves would never be anything to be ashamed about.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:44 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I think it best to respect their wishes! I however would be their cheerleader because so many people bash and hate on gay people, not even for the act of it but because they are "different". The world is cruel enough; and children regaurdless of age, race, sexual orrientation, weight need love, acceptance, encouragement, and the ability to keep their head held high; and any child can do this and will do this if and when it is done from the parents or parent!!! My children will believe they are capable of anything even when or if someone or some show says they can't because I believe and I know they can and will be anything they want to become! And God forbid but what if a child thinks that's how relationships should be because they were molested or raped by someone of the same sex!? Never judge shoes worn by those who walked a different path because you might not beable to wear them any better or differently!!! GL and YAY 2 u!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 11:48 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Ladies, I have three full grown adults, and often people I know will ask if they are married, or have kids, I do not tell unless probed.
    But I do find a lot of families where this is a taboo subject and it is never spoken about, they hide it as if it is something to be ashamed of.

Comment by older (original poster) at 11:31 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• be proud of them!!!!!!!!!!
    shannonsmom555

Answer by shannonsmom555 at 11:52 AM on Jul. 13, 2010