What can I do with this

I put a check each time my children don't listen, or talk rudely. I told them I am putting a check (for what I have to figure it out, they don't know I don't know......)

I need a good punishment for it... Help me, Saturday will be here soon.

KFree907

Asked by KFree907 at 11:22 AM on Jul. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• I wouldn't do punishment. The mystery of it is probably punishment enough. I would; however, take the time to sit them down and discuss what they did wrong and what you expect from them to correct it. Our job is to teach them not just punish them.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:25 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• How old are the children?
    babySTAR09

Answer by babySTAR09 at 11:26 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• how old are your kids? mine are 4 and 6 the 4 yr old is not allowed to play with her fav toy or bike for the weekend and my 6 yr old is also not allowed to play with his bike or playstation for the weekend or longer depends on how bad it was
    jennette0704

Answer by jennette0704 at 11:26 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I don't know - my son is only 1 so we haven't gotten to this stage of discipline yet. I hope you get some great answers!
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 11:26 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Why not do a positive thing for those that don't get a certain amount of checks? Or give them checks when they're good?

I know as a child it killed me when I was missing out because of bad behavior - even if it was something as small as an eraser. : )

We had a bucket of prizes and got one when we earned a certain amount of "checks." I think they could be erased if we misbehaved.
    Sara.Robyson

Answer by Sara.Robyson at 11:26 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Ok, I don't exactly mean punishment, but somthing has to be done or something. They are so trying not too get a check except for my daughter, it could be a reward with out money...

I am broke....
    KFree907

Comment by KFree907 (original poster) at 11:27 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I need some thing exciting or something rewarding, I have 4 kids.

6,7,11,14
    KFree907

Comment by KFree907 (original poster) at 11:28 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• By enforcing Positive behavior insted of negative you will get kids TRYING to be better and help out more. Get them each there own peice of paper or dry erase board and put a heart for everytime they do something good or nice. Then once they get so many hearts they get to pick a prize out of a basket of goodies that are only used for those charts. This will make them find it fun and learn that good behavior gives them prizes. Insted of consequences. You can erase some hearts for very bad behavior. Just a suggestion
    MommySteph1011

Answer by MommySteph1011 at 11:31 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• IF you are low on money - some of the gifts can be no money at all.. Like Pick what they want for there own dinner, Stay up past there bedtime 30mins, they get to pick the cereal out at the store, things like that.... Or buy packs of things at the dollar store that can do further for them.
    MommySteph1011

Answer by MommySteph1011 at 11:33 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Positive reinforcement is a very good thing but sometimes one will need to address the bad behavior. You (& your spouse) might start by deciding what the house rules are and deciding what the consequence(s) are for those rules when broken. Write/type them out, discuss them with your children and make sure that each child clearly understands the rules & the consequences for breaking those rules and then post them on the fridge. I would spend the first few days warning them ONE time before consequence is handed out. After that, no warnings.

The consequences you choose will need to be based on what is important to the children (others gave good examples such as no playstation, no riding bikes). Something that works will for us is to assign a certain chore outside the normal chores, such as clean up the yard, straighten out the shed, etc. Lots of good suggestions given by the other Moms! =)

7blessings

Answer by 7blessings at 12:44 PM on Jul. 13, 2010