When is the best time to start potty training?

My dd is almost 14 mos and she walks when she wants to, but still prefers to crawl. I am thinking about getting her a potty seat just so she can get familiar with it, but I don't know if it would be pushing her too soon. Do people usually wait for potty training until their babies are walking all the time, or is it okay to start before then? Thanks!

nicolemstacy

Asked by nicolemstacy at 11:41 AM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I got out the potty seat at around 18 mos BUT my kids did not actively START using the potty until they were 27 mos. Based on my experience, and from what I've read, they don't have the physical ability to hold and go until around that age. Before that, it's really parent potty training, where you recognize the signs of her having to go potty and put her on it. That said, there are definitely exceptions. It won't hurt to get the potty, start reading books and talking about it. But don't push her.
    ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 7:47 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• She isnt ready but getting her familiar with the potty can be very beneficial. Yes, People wait for potty training until thir child is walking full time, but also showing "ready signs" which come at different ages. My DD was fully potty trained at 20 months even over the nights, but my son was 2 and a half.
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 11:44 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Start whenever your child starts showing interest. That being said, I read recently that children are the most receptive and easiest to potty training between 27-32 mo.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:44 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I believe 1 1/2 is a good time.
    camrynsmom2001

Answer by camrynsmom2001 at 11:45 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I started my DS at 18 months. Nothing too serious just tried giving him the idea by sitting him on it every once in a while. After he turned two we started heavily potty training. It took awhile but he was completely potty trained by 3.
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 11:46 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• getting her one to get familliar with is a great idea. i got my 13 month old one a couple months ago just because she always comes in the bathroom with me anyway and it gives her something to do. she has used it a few times, but usually she just has fun sitting on it.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 11:47 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I've heard of people potty training at early as a year, but I don't know how success it is. Ours is nearly 20 months. She's been walking since 10 months, knows how to undress and has a number of other signs. So we started potty training. Problem is she tells us after she's gone and not before. You're baby won't really be ready until she can hold it in and can recognize when she needs to go. In the meanwhile, if she starts taking her diaper off, you can switch to training pants and you can get her a DVD on potty training. We use Elmo's potty time.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:48 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• For my son, I bought him a potty when he was like 12 months...only because I found a great one for cheap at a yard sale,LOL. But he became familiar with it, sat on it, played with it. Then I started showing him potty videos at about 18 months. Then he started showing interest in trying to sit on the potty to pee...he was trained by 24 months.
    My daughter..(booo hooo,lol) is 16 months and started a few weeks ago with taking her diaper off cnstantly, peeing on the floor an dtaking off running,lol. SO a little over a week ago, I bought her a potty chair, sit her on it when I go to the potty or whenever she decides to pull the diaper off..but I really didnt expect her to actually USE it YET.BUT SHE DID! JUST LIKE 20 MINS AGO! SHE PEED N POTTY!!! lol. Just follow their cues I guess, there is no right or wrong way..just go with the flow! Good Luck! :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:49 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Well first of all you have to have the time to be consistent. My 3yr old was potty trained at the age of 2, it took me about a month of constantly spending time reminding her of the potty> But well worth it! I have a 1yr old and will probably start within the next 2 months or so. You just need to be patient and be persistent. Can't rely on your babysitter. GOOD LUCK, The smell of POOP is no fun!!!!!!!!!!!!
    parra1

Answer by parra1 at 11:55 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I would say when she starts showing interest is when you should try and teach her.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 12:46 PM on Jul. 13, 2010