having pesticides sprayed in apartment with newborn

Last night I woke up at 2am with ant bites on my back and neck. This morning I noticed there are also several spiders around the bed. I want to have the exterminator guy spray the apartment so that I can sleep peacefully without worrying about stuff crawling on me and eating me alive, but I wonder if that's safe for the baby. My due date is tomorrow so the baby will be here at any time. I know that the last time they sprayed it didn't smell or anything it seemed harmless. Does anyone have anything to say about this?
(Also my apartment is immaculately clean, so the presence of insects has nothing to do with cleanliness)

walkintherain

Asked by walkintherain at 11:47 AM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Pregnancy

• it is alright to have someone spray, as long as it is not harmful to children or dogs. I have a good person I can give his number he always sprays for spiders and I have not seen any sin ce he sprayed.
    dancing265

Answer by dancing265 at 12:08 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I think you should be fine. I mean leave the house when the guy comes and when you come back home open up the windows to air everything out.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 12:21 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• No, I do not think ANY bug spray is safe at all, especially for a newborn infant. It is POISON period. I would buy ant traps and vacuum every day (multiple times if necessary). Find where the ants are coming in and caulk it with silicon and put an ant trap there. If you have someone spray, it leaves an oil residue (a main ingredient in bug sprays). That oil remains & can eventually get onto the babies toys and then into their mouths. I would not let my DS play with a can of bug spray so why would I use in an area that he plays on at all? That's my opinion.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:57 PM on Jul. 13, 2010