HELP!!! My 3 year old won't sleep in her own room!

My daughter will not for any reason sleep in her own room. There is plenty of light and we leave the door open, but she will not stay in her room. She used to wake in the middle of the night and come into our room and sleep on the floor, but now it's gotten to the point where she will no longer even fall asleep in her room. I am having another baby in 2 weeks and need this to stop before the new baby comes. When I even mention bedtime she cries and screams. I warn her once if she gets out of bed I will close her door and I do for a few minutes as she SCREAMS, but I don't know what to do anymore. I need some help.

hornz102485

Asked by hornz102485 at 11:53 AM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If you think it's a control issue for her and not because she is scared then I would let her scream and cry it out. Tell her you will open the door when she is quiet. Once she's quiet open the door, and if she gets out again put her back and close the door again. I'd stay by the door so you can hear her to make sure she is ok, but I wouldn't open the door unless she is quiet. If you are giving in to her when she starts screaming, then she knows she can get her way by doing that. Be aware that when the screaming stops working she may try to find other ways to get her way. My older daughter started with screaming fits and moved on to "I'm sick", "I need a drink of water", or "I need a hug" when the screaming stopped working for her.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:14 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Did this start after she found out about the new baby? Maybe she feels threatened. Assure her that she will always be special to you guys and then let her scream
    CandiGram

Answer by CandiGram at 1:07 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I don't think it has anything to do with the baby. It actually started after we moved into a new apartment.
    hornz102485

Comment by hornz102485 (original poster) at 2:41 PM on Jul. 13, 2010