How do I get my son to enjoy tummy time?

My son is 3 months and he has hated tummy time since day one. We put him on his belly a few times a day and he is a slacker! He lifts his head but not very much..he rather lay there and lick the blanket. LOL.

Any ideas on how to make this more enjoyable?

He has no problem holding his head up if your holding him in your lap.

mommytobrooke

Asked by mommytobrooke at 11:53 AM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• honestly id not worry about it really my dd hated tummy time so i did it in short bouts, but she was walking at 9 months and go go go lol so not a lot of tummy time really isn't 2 horrid of a thing
    oppsdiditagain

Answer by oppsdiditagain at 11:55 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Use one of the mats where they have lots of little toys to grab at while laying on there belly.. I had a baby that way too and she never did enjoy it. I could get her to do it for 2-3 mins and then she'd be mad. She never did grow out of it as a baby. But not getting a lot of tummy time isnt going to hinder how your child grows up. Just work at it a little and if he still doesnt then its not going to hurt who he becomes.. good luck!
    MommySteph1011

Answer by MommySteph1011 at 11:56 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• My kids hated tummy time so I didn't do it. Now they are 4, 7 and 15 and extremely athletic. They can live long happy lives without tummy time. Don't force it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:58 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I never worried about tummy time because my DD hated it. She refused to lay on her tummy. Now she'll be 2 next month and has just started laying on her tummy while sleeping.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 11:58 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• My baby girl did not like tummy time either, she would cry if we laid her on her tummy...she just did not enjoy it. She held her head up just fine when we would walk with her she would try to hold it up and look all around she held her head up just fine when we sat with her on our lap, all babies are different and she just did not like tummy time she did hold her head up tho but shortly after she would start crying. I never forced her to stay on her tummy for very long we just did other things. She is 19 months now and she is PERFECT!
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 11:59 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Do tummy time on you...have baby lay tummy down on your chest...he'll have to lift his head to see you (his favorite thing in the world). Sing songs, stick out your tongue, blow raspberries, do animal sounds, make silly faces. He'll love it.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 12:03 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• try a boppy under his arms. like in his arm pits. worked for my LO. gl!
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 12:24 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I'm having the same problem with my 3 month old son...so many people say don't worry about it and I don't...every now and then I just prop him up on a pillow, kind of like what rileymommy said with the boppy. He'll tolerate that for a couple of minutes and then we move onto something else. Good luck!
    jacksmom1225

Answer by jacksmom1225 at 12:43 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I put my son on a big bal and held him there. If you move the baby around on the ball, they think its fun and it stengthens their back and neck muscles. When he got a little better with that I rolled a towel and put it under his chest. If you put toys in front of him, he should find it a little more enjoyable. Both my babies hated tummy time. I think it is very common.
    Dodie702

Answer by Dodie702 at 1:29 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• He's not a slacker. Holding your head up on your belly is incredibly difficult and takes a lot of strength, balance and control. If your baby can only tolerate a few seconds at a time, that is fine! Pick him up or turn him over when he's had enough. Offer the opportunity diferent times of the day. Avoid putting him down on a full belly, or when hungry ... find the middle contentment. Aother way to build strength is to carry your baby in a sling, wrap, or mei tai. Avoid baby containers as the restrict movement and don't allow exercise.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:57 PM on Jul. 13, 2010