Need asap help with a landlord situation.

I pay rent monthly. plus every 2-3 months I pay a $55.00 garbage fee. Our apartment building is a small complex, about 8 units and split into 2 different entrances. My entrance is in the alleyway. And along side the building is about 9 garbage cans. There is plenty of room in the front of the building for a dumpster. I noticed 3 rats yesterday, and I mean medium size, not mice but actual rats. I live in a cute, small town and this is not acceptable, I will not be afraid everytime I open the main door everytime I want to throw garbage out.

How do I word this in a letter to my landlord who lives about 2 hours away. They don't take care of anything around here with a phone call. I want to leave a paper trail. Pls. help I don't feel it's right to pay a garbage fee when there are rats right outside my window!

Do I call the health dept. first or write the letter to my landlord first?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:04 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Money & Work

• With the history of the landlords not following through by getting a phone call...I would call the health department first, and see what they say. I agree with you...especially with having to pay the extra fee...they really need to do a better job at keeping it sanitary.Rats can be dangerous, especially to small children.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:08 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Personally, I would call the health dept first. In a letter I would tell the landlord what unit you are in, explain your closeness to the cans, tell him you are notifying the health dept, etc. Be polite and professional. Be specific and keep it as brief as possible but with all necessary points. Good luck!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:09 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I'm not sure I understand. The trash is outside right? The rats are outside and not in your apartment? You don't think you should have to pay a trash fee if the trash is attracting rats that live outdoors? Are you saying you want to suggest to the landlord that they get a dumpster to put farther away from the building so the rats are not by your door? I mean yes, rats are gross, but they live outside and trash attracts them, that is just a fact. You could simply ask the landlord if they can move the trash cans somewhere or something, but short of trapping the existing rats, what else can they do? More rats will come...
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:11 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I would call the health department and then follow it up by informing your landlord what you are doing to ease the situation, by informing the health department but you are obligated to keep paying your garbage fee even if you have rats. Its a very good idea to keep a paper trail. Good luck!
    PatriciaofMN

Answer by PatriciaofMN at 12:19 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• my recent rent experience is don't rent buy your own place then you won't have to worry about these sort of things.
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 2:03 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• The rats are probably a city issue; I would start with city hall.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:41 AM on Jul. 14, 2010