My two year old son keeps hitting and saying stupid and poop how do I get him to stop?

Should I use time out or what?

janeq123

Asked by janeq123 at 12:11 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He is at the age where he is doing it for attention. Just ignore the words, but discipline him for the hitting.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 12:21 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• first he needs to stop. i physically catch the hitting arm and stop it for them and clearly said enough, get control. If the mouth starts to go off, I go into the limit about using word that help me know how he is feeling...cause "poop" doesn't tell be much...

Really, it is about a state change~they are not really using their best skills and really are done with the situation. Managing his sleep, food and activity and just knowing when he is working on a new skill and is frustrated, or really is needing some contact and not having the skills to state change and ask for a hug...

We can get a kid to "snap out of it" with our voice~being angry works but it shuts the situation down for contact once he does state change...calm and assertive parenting really help kids internally mature and move on to new learning...

I think being two is really overwhelming~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 12:32 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Make sure he is getting enough positive praise from you and hubby for what he does right. Needs one on one time with each of you too. Plus lots of love, hugs, and kisses too. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:38 PM on Jul. 13, 2010