what ways are you thrifty? ie baby stuff, household, food, ect

rileymommy

Asked by rileymommy at 12:14 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Money & Work

• Everything! If there is a generic store brand, that's what I get from food to cleaning stuff, paper towels, tampons, you name it. :-) I also get clothes 2nd hand from thrift stores and yard sales. I trade clothes with family. Dad will send Kyra stuff, but a lot of it is way too big so I give it to my mom for my sister or my cousin for her girls in exchange for the stuff they have outgrown. That won't work much longer though, Kyra's about caught up to my cousin's kids. :-)
    I also check different places for the best price and take a couple weeks to find the best deal for big purchases.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:21 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I get stuff off of freecycle, shop at thrift stores especially this one that the proceeds go to help a children's hospital, we shop at fruit markets and meat markets as most of everything seems cheaper there.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 12:21 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I'm very thrifty. For clothes, we never pay full price. I wait til stores have their 50% off already reduced clearance prices, shop thrift stores, yard sales, etc. Same goes for shoes though I don't buy used shoes. For groceries, I shop sales, use coupons, make grocery lists and plan meals and still buy healthy, high quality foods. I also make a lot of stuff from scratch, so that helps out. For school supplies I either buy them when they are on sale, or buy them at the dollar store. I don't buy a lot of cleaning supplies. The only ones I buy are seventh generation disinfecting wipes and eco-friendly laundry detergents, dishwashing liquid, and dishwasher gel. Otherwise I use vinegar, baking soda, or lemon juice to clean with. For our upcoming vacation, I've also managed to save money on hotels using priceline, and bought snacks for the kids to eat in the car instead of stopping at convenience stores all the time!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:32 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Oh and I love ebay, craigslist, and freecycle. I will buy something gently used before I would buy it new whenever I can!!!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:33 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• what is freecycle?
    rileymommy

Comment by rileymommy (original poster) at 2:13 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• http://www.freecycle.org/ and http://www.reuseitnetwork.org/ are groups of people who give away unwanted items, rather than throwing them away.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:38 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• We don't eat meat. We use cloth napkins and paper towels. We make a lot of our own cleaners. We take public transit and walk. We cook from scratch. We don't buy junkfood. When we had a baby, we used second hand cloth diapers and washcloths instead of wipes. We only drink water.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:40 AM on Jul. 14, 2010