Switching from breastmilk to formula.....

i've tried everything to get my son to stop biting me, nothing has worked. he will be 9 months 7-19. why do i feel so emotional about quitting nursing? i know it's not a big deal, but it still makes me want to cry. what the hell is wrong with me?oh and i've heard of ppl starting cow's milk at 11-11 1/2 months, what is your opinion on that? i started rice cereal at 3 1/2 months and he did great.

mandielynn23

Asked by mandielynn23 at 12:14 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started mixing in an oz of milk at 11 months. By 12 months he was almost completely on whole milk. I mixed about an oz a week in his bottle.
    It's emotional because that is part of being a mother. There isn't anything wrong with you!
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 12:17 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Have you tried screaming OUCH really loud & harshly when he bites? This worked like a charm on my DD. every time she bit me, i would scream very loud, it would startle her, but she learned quickly that when she bit me, i scream & she stopped. You are so emotional about it, because you know deep down that you should continue breastfeeding.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:18 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• NO to cow milk until 12mo., only to aid in prevention of food related allergies!!! Now as for your emotional state with stopping the breast feeding is normal!!!! It creates an emotional bond between mother and child, its calming(although In don't kno why, lol), and there is no look between you that can compare to how you are looked at while nursing!!! You can still have the same benefits just not as rewarding while bottle feeding; I promise you these feelings will fade over time. You are not alone in feeling this way!!!!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 12:21 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Giving cow's milk to a child less than one year old greatly increases their chance of developing allergies to milk. You should definitely keep him on formula until he reaches 1 year of age - that being said, a week or two early probably won't make a difference, but a month or more early is too much.

As far as your actual question - of course you feel emotional about quitting nursing. It is a very emotional situation. I had to stop nursing my youngest when he was 13 months old b/c I was pregnant again, and every time I thought about it I cried - not to mention, people can be pretty mean and judgmental about anything related to breastfeeding. You tried your hardest to continue nursing, and nine months of nursing is actually pretty darn good in today's world! It's sad because you are losing that special bond between your baby and yourself, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Keep your chin up and try not to think about it. GL!
    SAHM_USAF

Answer by SAHM_USAF at 12:22 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I felt very emotional both times when I stopped nursing. I think it's normal, and it's not just a breastfeeding thing, though that is definitely a big one. I feel emotional each time my kids move from one phase to another one, and I'm not sure when that ends. I have one moving from junior high to high school, and I'm emotional about that!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:22 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I was told when they bite you, you should tell them no in a stern voice and take the breast away. They will realize that when they bite, they loose their booby. I think he'll stop if you try that. Good luck!!
    Dodie702

Answer by Dodie702 at 1:10 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• DD1's pediatrician recommended going to cow's milk at 11 months, but no sooner. I was having supply issues and she wasn't interested in nursing enough to get all of her milk from me.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 1:35 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Now cows milk before 12 mo. It can kill babies or cause organ damage. That's why formula was invented. You haven't "tried everything" to get baby to stop biting unless you have worked with a La Leche League Leader and a lactation consultant. It is a very big deal to wean. The World Health Organization redommends breastfeeding at least 2 years, your baby is 8 months. Premature weaning has lifelong health consequences for you and your baby.

http://www.kellymom.com/ is a great breastfeeding web site. LLL Leaders help by phone for free.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:36 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Are you sure you end the nursing session when he is done? An actively nursing baby can't bite. If gums are sore, cold sooths before you latch. If biting occurs pull baby TOWARDS you to block the nose so the mouth opens. Sayb "ouch, that hurts!" and put the baby down for a minute (be boring), then try again.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:49 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• You feel upset because it IS a big deal to wean now! Have you tired everything at When Baby Bites ?

If you stop breastfeeding now you will need to either feed pumped breastmilk or formula.  Way too soon for cows milk.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:52 PM on Jul. 13, 2010