16 yr old son, can not fall asleep at night so cant go to regular school

He had been to many doctors who have diagnosed him with a sleep disorder and say put him into a home school program. I am having a hard time with this. How is he going to function when he hits the real world. Any thoughts ladies?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:34 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I was homeschooled for 4 years from age 7-11. I ended up going back to public school, and was pretty socially inept. I got made fun of, didn't know how to be "cool", and was pretty miserable for a while. I did make better grades than most kids though! I think there are positives and negatives to the situation, if you decide to homeschool then I recommend joining a homeschooling group and make sure your son still gets to interact with other kids his age.
    mommymela87

Answer by mommymela87 at 12:36 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• First, homeschooling is a great option. At this point in time, he can do all his schoolwork on the computer.

But more importantly, is there no way to correct this disorder? It sounds more like bad sleep habits than a disorder to me.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:41 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• well if he will always be like this then you dont have to worry about jobs, he can always work graveyard...
    joycegina

Answer by joycegina at 12:45 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Homeschooling is a great option. When your son hits the real world if the disorder has not been treated he could always work a night job.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:45 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• he can't take sleeping pills?
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 12:45 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Check with the school board in your area, here we have a program called "SWAPS" mostly it's for kids that have to work to help their famlies. I'm sure your son would quilify. It's night high school. your son would still graduate with his school friends. Alot of teachers don't want to be up early either.
    Zippie

Answer by Zippie at 1:17 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Total BullShit!! Find a new doctor immediately. This Doctor is a lazy ass who just doesn't want to deal with it.

Your son is 16, and would rather stay up late on the phone, or TV or video games, facebook....whatever....and has found a way to get away with it. Give him 2 Tylenol PMs and send his ass to bed. REMOVE any and all TV, Phone, videos and crap from his romm. Your bedroom is just that, a place for your BED and a BED is where you sleep not where you "hang out".

It is time for some tough love
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 2:18 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• You need to take him to a sleep specialist not just a regular doctor.

How will he function in the real world......if you don't get him some help, HE WON'T and do you want him at your house for ever?
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:46 PM on Jul. 13, 2010