Spin off....Shoes in the home...

Anyone else not allow shoes in your house?
Specifically being worn in the house?

I don't allow shoes, it's very strict, I don't care who it is, you take your shoes off before you step foot in the door. Some people on CM found that it is rude to demand it but I think when it is a house rule it is rude to break it.

Reason being is I have an infant, he crawls every where, in order for me to not have to vacuum 24/7 and steam clean the floors every month I prefer to not wear shoes at all.
I've had people be uncomfy with it,family specifically, and I am always like...Why should the streets dirt be in my house? or It's a house rule so...
And it clicks and they remove the shoes.

Would you walk in a house with shoes on if you could see no one else wore shoes inside?

If this was your house rule would you allow people to break the rules just because they are a guest?

I'm just curious

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 12:46 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Home & Garden

• We have a no shoes rule in our home because of all the crap that is in yards, streets etc but if I were to go into others homes I might wear my shoes depending on how clean their house looked if it didn't look clean I wouldn't want their crap on my feet.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 5:27 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• No shoes are to be worn in our house and I always take my shoes off at others home.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 12:47 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• A rule is a rule. Its not rude to ask guests to remove their shoes, unless it was the type of shoe that required a lot of time to remove and put on (like the army boots my husband wears) and they were leaving shortly.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 12:48 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• We do not allow shoes in our home.. For a few different reasons.

1) My husband is SE Asian, not wearing shoes in the home is the cultural norm.
    2) We have a very "Asian" themed home. Very little traditional furniture. Most things are on the floor and we do all of our sitting and eating on the floor.
    3) My husband and son are Sikhs, so they pray/meditate on the floor (I also meditate and do yoga).
    4) We live in Downtown Portland , Or. So not only is it rainy and yucky a large part of the year. There is no telling what type of crap your shoes pick up walking around downtown and I don't want that mess spread throughout my house.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 12:49 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Shoes are allowed in our house. However, whenever I go somewhere I always take my shoes off, whether they allow shoes or not.
    KJohnson4762

Answer by KJohnson4762 at 12:49 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Nope. I always take my shoes off at other people's houses. Dirt from shoes is also a good way to get more lead dust into your house. It amazes me that people could just walk into my house with dirty shoes when I have a baby crawling on the floor. I ended up putting a sign up on our front door because my FIL would never take off his shoes. Rain, snow, whatever. He would track it all in. How rude.
    monkeyberry

Answer by monkeyberry at 12:50 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Oh yeah.. We have a spot in our entrance way for shoes.

And for the last part.

No I would not wear my shoes into someone else's home if I noticed that no one else has shoes on.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 12:51 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• We have the same rule & I couldn't have explained it better DominiqueWS. No shoes! I have tons of slippers for everyone at the door so if they don't like it than I say don't come back. My floors are super clean and if other people really knew what they were dragging in from outside then they would not allow shoes in their homes either. YUK! That's like people who use public toilets with bare feet. They are dragging other peoples bodily fluids around on their feet & into their homes & beds as well. If you wear shoes in your home you are doing the same thing.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:12 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Its rude because you make people uncomfortable. Do you have that much traffic going in and out that this is a problem?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:50 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I haven't come across any family or friends who weren't okay with it but if they were I'd get them some slippers to accommodate them. No one I know has been uncomfy with it, I'm not singling them out, it's just that everyone does it and If someone is coming over for the first time if I talk them first i always make a joke about it like...."Don't wear your socks with the holes" but usually people know if I invite them I tell them when I invite them that we don't wear shoes inside just so they can adjust accordingly prior. But everyone sees we have a baby and respects our parenting choices so far.

The alternative is slippers or bags covering the shoes completly....which would you prefer.
    DomoniqueWS

Comment by DomoniqueWS (original poster) at 1:09 PM on Jul. 13, 2010