Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

watching someones kids--how to handle it?

Dont know where to post this question but I watch 2 girls that are my sister in laws best friends kids. They are good kids but she only pays me $100 a week. that is for both kids. One is almost 3 years old and the other is 4 years old. I didnt have a problem in the beginning with the price because I am not a licensed provider i am just basically a baby sitter since I work every other week. She offered to provide the meals and i felt that was fair. I am unemployed of course and my husband doesnt make much because he is still going to school so is only making like 12 bucks an hour. lets just say we are on welfare for medicaid and food stamps too. This is the second week I have watched them and last week she forgot to pay me on the mondy and had to remind her on wed. this week still has not paid me yet and hasnt provided meals, plus they drink juice like crazy and i dont have money for juice. how do you remind w/out being rude?


Asked by Anonymous at 12:51 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

This question is closed.
Answers (13)
  • I would just talk to her, and tell her that I needed to be paid on X day each week when I watched them. I would tell her that I plan my budget around that, and that if I was going to continue watching them, I had to get payment promptly.
    As for the juice, I would just honestly tell her, that I know she preferred juice, but that I could not afford to give them juice all the time. But, I had X, Y or Z that they could drink when they were with me, or she could bring juice if she wanted them to have it.

    Answer by mommy11260 at 1:03 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

  • just say that even tough everyone is strugging she getting a good deal with the price and its effects your livielyhood. If she doesnt pay you by tomorrow I would tell her she cant bring them.

    Answer by karglynn at 12:57 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

  • I would explain to her your situation in not so many details and ask that she pays you promptly every week. You are technically doing her a favor because I pay $110 a week for my 2 year old only.

    Answer by CandiGram at 12:59 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

  • Look at it this way: this is your job. What she pays you is your pay check. How would she feel if her boss didn't pay when he/she was suppose to? Approach it like that. Try to help her put herself in your shoes.

    Answer by renea20 at 1:00 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

  • I say first of all she is getting a heck of a deal for daycare for 2 kids, specially that age! I agree with mommy11260, you need to sit down and speak to her, let her know you are on a fixed income right now and you really depend on the xtra cash to help around the house. I think you need to retouch on the fact that she offered to pay for meals, 100 dollars a weeks is nearly not enough to pay for daycare and food for 2 kids. At least if she's not going to bring you the food perhaps she can provide you with juices for the kiddos while they are there. good luck with this.

    Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 1:07 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

  • You need to find out the licensing laws in your state. You may not need a license. You should not be paid less because you don't have a license.

    Who makes what and who is working is confusing and how often you watch the kids is confusing. Someone makes $12 an hour. I don't know where you live but making $12 an hour at a job is good an making $12 an hour baby sitting is great! I don't know how you would be on medicaid and food stamps if either of you are making $12 an hour. You have to report baby sitting. If anyone ever gets mad at you and reports you for not reporting what you make you can be fined or even go to jail.

    Kids that age are only supposed to drink a max of 4 oz a juice a day according to the American Academy of Pediatrics. They should drink water.


    Answer by Gailll at 1:12 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

  • ---original poster---
    I know i need to talk to her. She KNOWS my situation because she used to work with my husband and sister in law and mother in law at the same place. I am just the kind of person who worries about talking to people. I just dont want her to get mad or get the wrong idea. I like watching her girls and the price was okay because I know I am not a daycare eventhough I used to pay like $200 a week for my son when i used to work. I have water and milk here and some juice but i give milk and juice to my son because they are expensive so i give them water. I kinda do feel I should be getting more now but dont want to be like " well i deserve more now actually so pay me more".. I just cant say that to her but I feel I want more money. Last week when i watched them she brought a big bag of chicken nuggets , a pack of applesauce and bananas for their lunch but this week nothing.. I just dont know what to say

    Answer by djanowski775 at 1:16 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

  • ---original poster--
    and to gailll----
    $12 an hour is nothing where i live. my husband is also about to go to school full time so we will both be without a job. He will be gone all day basically like an unpaid internship.and i dont make $12 an hour babysitting i basically make $1 an hour per child. I make nothing basically. I work 50 hours a week and get paid $100 a week.

    Answer by djanowski775 at 1:19 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

  • I would just kindly remind her. I have been babysitting for awhile now and started out getting $65 a week BUT I had to provide juice and meals. I felt like I wasn't making anything. Babysitting is a tough business as you may soon find out at least it is for me. The kids I am watching now bring their own food but they are mean and alot of work. They are constantly fighting with my kids and the oldest kid is mauipulative & teaches the younger kids bad words. I am begining to wonder if it is worth it.

    Answer by reesemom at 1:20 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

  • I would get out of that situation all together. First, if you are struggling to provide for your family, then, IMO, you're really not in the position to be doing anyone a financial favor. Second, $100 for 2 children is a crime! You should charge an hourly rate per child. Like Gailll said, check your state laws and find out how many children you can care for without a license. And be sure to put a pinch of cash aside for tax time because you will have to report that as income and pay taxes as if you are an independent contractor.

    Answer by kenzie07 at 4:09 PM on Jul. 13, 2010