Have you used a montessori pre-school?

Do you know the difference montessori and private pre-school?
Is there a "home" preschool?

BeckyB722

Asked by BeckyB722 at 1:13 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I am getting ready to start my son in a Montessori school, he is 16 months.Because I am going back to work soon. I am thinking the difference is that a Montessori takes kids of different ages. The one my son will be attending accepts kids from birth to 6 years old. As private pre-school is only pre-school.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 1:21 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• The difference is that Montessori is a method that can either be used by a school or a private preschool. My friend has her three year old in a private, in-home Montessori preschool and loves it.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 1:23 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• The centerpiece of the Montessori approach is allowing children to learn on their own while being guided by the teacher. Montessori teachers do not correct work and hand it back with lots of red marks. A child's work is not graded. The teacher assesses what the child has learned and then guides him into new areas of discovery.

Private schools, also known as independent schools, are not administered by local, state or national governments; thus, they retain the right to select their students and are funded in whole or in part by charging their students tuition, rather than relying on public (government) funding.

And, yes you can homeschool your preschooler ;)

HTH!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 1:23 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Hi there,

I have my three year old in a Montessori preschool and we love it. There are some in-home montessori schools. The difference between a montessori preschool and any other preschool is the method of learning. Kids are encouraged to discover and learn independently only with the guidance of a teacher, promoting critical thinking. It is NOT a traditional, sit and listen kind of school. When we started looking at preschools we noticed that a lot of them were more a type of daycare with no learning at all. The only school that actually taught was the montessori school that our child is now attending. We were a bit sceptical, not knowing anything about the Montessori method. My oldest (now 8) attended this school also and he is now a very disciplined learner and respectful student.
    Mama76x3

Answer by Mama76x3 at 1:40 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Thank you so much :) I really appreciate the information. I have been looking into pre-schools for a little while. My aunt keeps my 3 year-old right now. She is cheaper than day care and I can trust her. Also, she only has a few kids during the day. However, I worry that while he may be getting love and be safe he is not necessarily advancing like he should academically or socially.
    BeckyB722

Comment by BeckyB722 (original poster) at 5:33 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• My son did montessori fron 2.5 - 4... this year we are doing a traditional prek program in our hometown (the montessori is great but 20 min away) so he can make friends for kindergarten next year... he liked it, seemed to learn a lot of science, math, very little alphabet growth because he would fight them about it... and they didnt wanna push it... you need to know the basics of montessori. google it --- the things that i personally didnt love were --- they didnt push sharing like most prek's, because a kid could be really focused on a learning activity and when someone asks to join - the kid can say no he wants to work alone... which is great for achedemics but not perfect for social growth... and they insisted on kids knowing they go to school to work and learn - not play... they didnt have a dress up center or any outlet for young kids to pretend... my son loves to pretend. overall it was a good experience.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 5:41 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• i call once to get infomartion and looks like a really good school but way to expensive and im not rich! lol
    dianaNbryanMami

Answer by dianaNbryanMami at 8:36 PM on Jul. 13, 2010