Recycling v Water Use

Where do you draw the line? For example I always wonder which is worse, the amount of water it takes to clean the peanut butter from the jar or if I threw it away?

jamesonjustines

Asked by jamesonjustines at 1:20 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Such an intriguing question. I wash everything except for newspaper. Cans and two liter bottles are rinsed before I take them to reclaim our deposit. I like clean. Clean is good. I agree with CafeMochaMom1 most of all. We have to consider the future and try to keep things out of landfills.
    LauraMi261

Answer by LauraMi261 at 8:43 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• that's a good question. However, by recycling that plastic container, it won't sit in a landfill for the next 100 years or have to be carted off on a barge because there is no more room anywhere to dispose of the garbage anymore. I've read some landfills have had to shut down because they were so full. The chemical leakage is also a hazard to the environment.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 2:07 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• recycle~even if it uses water~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 1:22 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• This has also occurred to me. I find that I fill the container with hot soapy water when I am hand washing other dishes and utensils, then I clean the PB out and don't rinse with clear water- just more of the soapy water. Also, if the water isn't hot that I am using just then, if I run some room temperature tap water in, that this helps soften the PB and makes it easier to wash. And in general, I'll wash the recycling containers but not rinse the soap out - no need to since we won't be using them to eat from.

Answer by Bmat at 1:23 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• LOL I chunk it.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:09 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• We're not required to rinse any containers, prior to tossing them in the recycling bins. :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:15 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I rinse, so that our recycling bins don't attract mice. I think the water used is less than the impact of the plastic in the landfill. I am cautious about water too - I live in an area where the water is rationed.
    We would save a TON of water if the HOA in the area would stop insisting their green areas look like golf greens. Apparently water rationing does not apply to them.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 1:01 AM on Jul. 14, 2010