• In the Spotlight:

So I registered to vote as a democrat...

I just registered like 6 months ago...I'm 18
But I'm not so sure if I am a democrat.

I think I am but am still unsure...
I have many liberal views, I admit that and know it. Where I live is very liberal in general...NorCal ♥

But I also have some conservative views as well which conflict with the other side... UGGH

Which one am I? How do I decide? Is there a party that's in the middle? Do I have to chose?

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 1:31 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• To vote in primary elections you have to declare a party. In that election you vote for the best within the choices of the party. Last pres. election, I think Obama, Hilary Clinton and a few others were running as democrats. Obama won the primary and was elected as president candidate, with Biden as running mate. In General election which would be a few months later the same year you vote for which ever candidate you choose in this case it would have been between Obama and McCain, in the rest of the choices you can vote for the person you think best in either party, that would be governors, representatives, on down to local and state government; county council, and school board. I hope this helps, I am a registered Republican but have many times voted for the democrat because I believed his views were closer to mine or the republican was just a jerk.
    higherboundmom

Answer by higherboundmom at 1:46 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• You can register an Independent. you don't have to choose D or R...The only difference will be not being able to vote in that parties primary

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:37 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• No matter what party you are registered as, when it comes to election time, you can vote for whomever you want to. You dont have to vote for the democrat because you registered to vote democrat.
    dakajazz23

Answer by dakajazz23 at 1:37 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• pick and choose at election time~you set yourself up to vote..Good on Ya!
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 1:34 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Just because you are registered with one party does not mean you need to vote down the party line. As others said you just can't participate in a primary other than the party you are registered with. I know in Michigan there was a big thing last election with Democrats voting in the Republican primary for who they thought was the weaker candidate to try to skew the nomination.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 1:47 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• or you may not be able to vote in primaries is what I meant to say
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 1:51 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Ok i was curious so i looked this up for you - in NoCarolina you do need to be affiliated with a party to vote in its primary, in my state, Michigan you do not which is why I was referring to the incident at the last Presidential primary.

http://www.nc-politics.com/vguide.htm
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 1:55 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• um I am still young to this too but you can ask the court house and yes there is an option to vote depending on the candidate that you feel is right (i am thinking independent but i might be wrong) i still have a lot of things to learn on the subject too!
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 1:34 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• As a pp said, the only time when it is an issue is during the primaries; you would have to check whether you can vote in another party's primary.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 1:44 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Congrats on being a responsible youth and taking the first steps!

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:45 PM on Jul. 13, 2010