Exclusively pumping mommies?

How do you stay sane? I really hate pumping and have been doing it for 8 weeks so that my term NICU baby can have my milk. I'm getting to a point where I'm having enough problems that I need to see the NICU lactation specialist at least once a week and my supply is dropping (which we are working on).

It's driving me crazy!

tyheamma

Asked by tyheamma at 1:33 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• go here. this video will make a big difference: http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:44 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Have you tried eating oatmeal? I was told it helps to increase your supply.
    Dodie702

Answer by Dodie702 at 1:36 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I am exlusively pumping, have been for the past 6 months. My tip to you is to drink plenty of water, try to relax and make sure that your prenatal vitamin has enough calcium magnesium. Those three things really helped me. I hope things get easier for you.
    MamaNata

Answer by MamaNata at 1:39 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Pumping is tough! Is your baby still in the NICU? Could your baby breastfeed?

There are exclusively pumping moms on the discussion boards at http://www.mothering.com/

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:41 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I just wanted to say hang in there!! I only had to EP for 6 days when my baby was in the NICU, and I hated it. You are awesome to keep it up for more than 8 weeks. I have a friend whose baby had a heart defect and she EPd for 9 months. Keep up the good work mama!!!!!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:48 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I eat oatmeal as many times per week as I can tolerate it. Oatmeal cookies work best for me because I do not like mushy oatmeal at all.

I drink a lot of water right now but still end up feeling dehydrated on my skin... something I'm actually talking to lactation about today.

And nope, my baby can't breastfeed yet. She's got a swallowing problem and other than that is still freshly post-op for an open heart surgery to correct a hole in her heart. She's only getting a teaspoon an hour of milk, but they are working her back up to full feedings.
    tyheamma

Comment by tyheamma (original poster) at 1:45 PM on Jul. 13, 2010