How do I find a religion?

Yes.... I now people here can not tell me. But I have tried my own and well I am HIV positive and it scared the priest at our last church.
What exactly should I say at my next church? Am I even supposed to go to church? According to people this is God's punishment.
And also our church is Episcopalian, the old quilt you religion. So it depresses me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:33 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't believe you find religion.

I believe it finds you really.

Depending on what you are looking for, what it is your needing, what your core beliefs are (your own not what some religion instilled in you) and what you want out of a religion.. Determines what religion is right for you.. If any at all.

I don't believe something like being HIV positive is "God's punishment" for anything. I don't believe God punishes.

If you aren't finding the support you are needing and looking for or the acceptance you need in the Christian faith. Maybe another path is right fo ryou.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 1:38 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Maybe try Baha'i
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 1:38 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Do you belong to any support group? What have people there done in this regard? Research different religions online to find one that aligns with your beliefs. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:41 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I go to a baptist church so I guess I'm baptist, basically I'm a bible believing Christian, but have found a home at a baptist church. I know for a fact that you would be accepted with open arms and prayed for at my church. Maybe try one near you.... I was raised Nazarene, and I wouldn't recommend that as much. They're a little more stuffy and judgemental, in my experience, but this church I'm going to now is very geniuine and loving, you could find a home there. Nobody is judgemental, or fake. Disease comes from Adam's original sin, all disease and bad things come from Adam's sin from the beginning, this is not God punishing you, he will be there to help you through though, just like any other person that has cancer, or any other disease. You can find peace in him. You don't necessarily need to find "religion", just God, and some religions may help you in that journey.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 1:42 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I do no believe HIV is God's punishment.. If that be the case, how about babies that are born HIV+ We don't know in the slightest form how God works. Its to amazing and great for our Earthly minds to comprehend. I find faith and goodness in my children, through prayer and daily good deeds and works.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 1:43 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I'm sorry people told you it is God's punishment. They had no right to tell you that. I'm sorry that the priest acted scared of you. They are human and flawed like the rest of us, but it is always good if they can live according to the higher standard to which they are called. I hope you can find a church that welcomes you. If you can, you would benefit so much from the community and support. Is Episcopalian your religion? Try to find one with a focus on the charismatic gifts of the Holy Spirit. There are Episcopalian churches like that. I'm so sorry.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 1:46 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I believe Elizabr had the right idea. Check out various religions online, find one you might like and then go to the church. Attend several times and see how it goes.
    teddybeargirl

Answer by teddybeargirl at 1:53 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• This is not God's punishment. It is something very bad that effects many people who never asked for it.

It might be a good idea to find a faith that you fit with really well. Find a group that makes you comfortable. When the time is right, then maybe tell someone in the church what is going on.

I'm so sorry that you have to go through this. I hope that you can find the faith and support that you need to endure the trials you are facing.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 1:56 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Belief-O-Matic powered by SelectSmart.com

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 2:06 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• First, stop looking for RELIGION.

Start looking for FAITH.

Religion is man-made BS. Pure and simple.

Ignore the idiots telling you that you deserve to have AIDS. Utterly stupid and beyond ridiculous!!

I wish you the best and hope that you can find some peace.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 2:29 PM on Jul. 13, 2010