Which carseat is the absolute best???

My 10mo. old is getting too long for his infant carseat. I want to get a conv. carseat to use turned backwards til he's 2. I have a 3yr old (almost 4) & we bought him the Eddie Bauer conv. carseat when he was 1 & the weight limit is from 5-100lbs. I love his caraseat but I know alot has changed in the world of carseats since I bought his. Georgia state law requires a child to be 5yrs old OR 80lbs, whichever comes 1st. I want to know which one is the best, has the highest weight limit & is durable enough to last. I have heard that Britax is 1 of the best but as far as durablility I have heard nothing. Do any of you have info that would help me out??? Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:42 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• britax, sunshine kids, and true fit are the top seats.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:46 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Another thing to consider besides ratings is how well the car seat fits in your car. The Britax wouldn't adjust safely so we got a Safety 1st and it's been wonderful.
    toykeymama

Answer by toykeymama at 1:47 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I love my britax. My older one used it, then we passed it down to our younger one when he grew out of his infant carrier. You just can't beat them for comfort, but what most impressed me most about it is how well it washes up. We have one that is a gray with black flecks in it. My younger one has weight gain issues despite eating ALL the time. If he's in the car, he's eating. He gets that seat so gross, but I just pull it out of the car, quickly take the cover off, throw it in the wash (spray and wash on the backside of anything that soaked thru, and it comes out just as good as new. Fluffy, soft, and completely clean. Pop the cover back on, pull the straps threw, and we are back in business by morning.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 1:47 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I think recaro's are the best. You should check out the history of them and how the crash testing is at higher levels than US seats, they're from I think Australia and they make nascar seats. We have one and I love it. We also have an evenflo triumph and it'a very nice seat also, but I think the construction and safety of the recaros are the best. jmo
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 1:47 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I think that it is great that you want to keep you lo rear facing until 2 years old. If you don't mind my suggesting the car seat safety group here has lots of techs and knowledgeable ladies who would be able to make a better suggestion to you than I would. They really know a lot about the different types of seats and some even know what might work best in a certain type of vehicle. We just recently bought DS a Britax seat and absolutely love it.

If you do decide to post in the car seat safety group some things that they may want to know are your son's height, weight, torso length and the kind of car that you drive as well as if you are on a budget. Good luck to you and I hope that you are able to find a great seat for your little one.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 1:48 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Here is a web site and it does list Britax and Sunshine Kids as best. There has been problems with some of the Eddie Bauer and you may want to do to see if yours has been recalled.

http://www.consumersearch.com/car-seats?gclid=COvLvOeH6aICFRJNagodhHZVNA

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:53 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I like britax and the sunshine radian. But if you dont want to spend that much I have the Graco my ride 65.
    djanowski775

Answer by djanowski775 at 2:06 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• It depends on your budget really.......
    If you have a small budget I'd say an Sceneca cheap yes but still a good seat.....
    If you have a mid-size budget like $100-$200 that opens up alot.... My Ride, True Fit (which with a tall child i would suggest it has a taller shell then a my ride my son is 10 months 25lbs and 33in already and on the third slot of a my ride not sure for a true fit) Evenflo Triumph just came out with one that goes to 65lbs thats available at babies r us, another good one would be the Complete Air by Safety 1st that one i'd do some shopping around to find the pattern you want and the best price.
    Then if you have no budget you can do Britax or Sunshine kids.
    I personally think that the My Ride and True Fit are just as good as a Britax or Sunshine.
    Hope this helps :)
    EJsHottMama

Answer by EJsHottMama at 2:12 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I just checked out that Consumersearch and the Sceneca is on the top 5 WOW and My ride didn't show up in the runner-up thats weird.....
    EJsHottMama

Answer by EJsHottMama at 2:45 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• not sure what your budget is, but my favorite is the britax line. they are supposed to be coming out with an updated line (same prices:)) next month. naturally, i have a britax. dd will be 3 in nov and still rear faces. she still has about 5 more lbs before she hits the max. the new line has higher weight limits. ive also wanted the sunshine kids radian xtsl, but after much reading, i think im going to stick with britax. and my only complaint about the one i have for dd is that the strps can be hard to tighten sometimes. other than that, its very sturdy, nice cover, very cute, and really easy to install.
    iamcafemom83

Answer by iamcafemom83 at 2:56 PM on Jul. 13, 2010