how do i get my son to eat other foods besides junk?

emily765

Asked by emily765 at 1:59 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Don't buy any junk food and don't go to Fast Food restaurants. :-) Good luck!
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 2:00 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Don't offer him junk food anymore. Remove it from your house. If it's not an option then he can't eat it. He can refuse to eat if he wants but he'll get hungry enough to eat what's given to him at some point.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 2:01 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• If it isn't in the house, he can not eat it. Hint, hint.

Check THIS out.

ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:01 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Just don;t buy the foods you don;t want him to have! He may protest, but he will eventually eat what is available.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:01 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• You could stop buying the junk food and start getting lots of fruits and healthy snacks. Sit down with him and explain that is how it will be from now on. Get husband's support too. if you can't do that ,then at least limit the junk. Post exactly what will be allowed per day and maybe match it with a healthy item. You are in charge of what comes into the house.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:02 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• My kids like smoothies. I put a banana, strawberries, a yogurt, some ice, milk, a squirt of whipped cream in a blender and call it a shake. They love it. As long as they eat that, a little junk food isn't going to hurt.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:02 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I don't buy junk food unless it's a special occasion such as a birthday party or holidays. If junk food is something you keep in the cupboards, try to bribe him. For example, tell him if he eats his lunch/dinner, he can then have some m&m's or a cookie for trying.
    Heidi919

Answer by Heidi919 at 2:04 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• i don't buy it and i don't allow junk....i had trouble with my youngest daughter eating vegetables...so with her i served her veggies first and told her she could have the rest of dinner when she ate her veggies....also to set her up for success, i only gave her a small amount of veggies....each week i'd increase the veggies until she was eating a full serving. it worked very well !
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 2:06 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• My kids have to eat 'good food' before they can have junk. And then it's like 2 oreo's after dinner. It is a common question at my house 'Did I eat enough to get dessert?' And they know if they didn't they aren't getting it. I have been known to eat oreo's in front of them if they didn't eat.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:15 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Mine are only offered a healthy breakfast and no snacks between that and lunch. Which again is healthy.

Then @ 15:00 we all have coffee and a sweet snack of some kind, well the kids have soda / milk or cool-aid or whatever else we have thay would like.

Then nothing till dinner time which may or may not be healthy, but they are only offered whatever WE eat.

We only get dessert on week-ends.

That way they eat a variety of foods and learn to not be pickey, and to eat what we serve :)

Now, there ARE a few items they do not like, and as long as they try them from time to time, to make sure their taste hasn't changed, we don't make them eat those.
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 4:08 PM on Jul. 13, 2010