How can I start teaching my son words/to talk?

Other than talking to him a lot and reading what are some other ideas you used to get your babies to start talking. He says "mama" and "dada" (not as often) but I'm trying to get him to learn stuff like "milk" when I hand him his sippy cup/right before he takes a drink and "yumm" when he's eating. What are some other ideas?

1st_time_mom23

Asked by 1st_time_mom23 at 2:01 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That's about it until he learns to read

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:04 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• IMHO, you can't force him. But I think you are doing the right thing. Talking to him a lot, reading to him, pointing and naming everything. He will pick it up.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 2:04 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Being repetitive and reading to them a lot is really all I know to do. My son also has the your baby can read set. I show him the cards with words on them, and he will point to body parts etc, when he sees them but still doesn't say them he is 16 months old. he says mama, dada, bye, hi, hey, cup, eat, thanks, love ewww(supposed to be you lol) yumm, no. I think saying things over and over does help. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 2:04 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Talk to him all day. nariate everything you do. At first you will feel like an idiot talking about how pretty broccoli is with your baby while grocery shopping, but soon it will be second nature. And lots of repitition. We use "drink" instead of milk or juice, just because it's more all inclusive. We also say "bites" and "eat". All were picked up very quickly. After baby says the word, smile and say it back to him and praise him. Lets him know he's doing what makes you happy. Good luck!
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 2:04 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Wow my spelling was a nightmare. Thought I hit the spell check button. Guess not. =P
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 2:05 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• As you go about your day, point and identify everything to him. Keep the words simple, and repeat them frequently. Some words will be harder to say that others. The first 50 words a child learns to speak need to have been heard up to 2000 times!!! After that language comes faster.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:06 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• You are on the right track. He will start picking it up when he is ready, and then it happens really fast! My son is 18 months old and has a very big vocabulary, but he wasn't a super early talker. And he learned his first words entirely on accident - "Clean" was his first word. I was getting out of the shower one day, and was talking to him. I said the word clean in a sentence, and he repeated it and gave me a huge smile. So we said it again over and over and I made a really big deal out of it. I think he was perhaps 10 months old? I don't remember. And don't listen to Butterflyblue above - speaking has absolutely nothing to do with reading. My son knows at least 50 words and he does not read yet.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 2:08 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• We use puzzles like the wood ones or something. We have ones with shapes, colors, cars, animals, its a great way to learn new words and helps them learn the shapes of things too.
    djanowski775

Answer by djanowski775 at 2:08 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• As long as your talk and interact with them it will happen.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 2:10 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• PS - we also have My Baby Can Read and my son just loves it. We don't focus on the reading part - we just use it as a fun video to watch and learn new words with. We haven't used the flash cards or anything yet. But I highly recommend trying that too. It exposes your child to repetitive words in a fun way.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 2:11 PM on Jul. 13, 2010