When should I take baby to dentist?

My son just turned 1 and he has 7 teeth (a mouthful!) I've heard 18 months but when did you first take your kids? And how do I find a children's dentist in my area?

1st_time_mom23

Asked by 1st_time_mom23 at 2:03 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I took mine when they were 2. Ask your dentist for a recommendation. My kids go to my dentist. It's a family dentist.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:05 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• doctors say at the first sight of a tooth or at age 1.
    WhatItDo

Answer by WhatItDo at 2:07 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• They usually say they should first go to the dentist a little before their first birthday or by their first birthday. I didnt take my son until around 1 1/2 years old its just usually a check up anyways.
    djanowski775

Answer by djanowski775 at 2:07 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I would go now. If there is a problem with their teeth (weak enamel, or spots from too much of something in their environment) it is better to know.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 2:09 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• i have heard 3 years old.....not sure
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 2:20 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• In foster care it's when they have their first tooth or 12 months, then every 6 months after that. It's pretty much to get them accustomed (de-sensitized) to the office. They try to get them to open their mouth, aim a toothbrush at their mouths, and that's it for the first couple of years.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 2:57 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• My pedi and everything i have read says to take them at 1 year or 6 months after thier first tooth comes in. Whatever is first. I believe this is what the american academy of pediatric dentistry says also. I took my son at a year.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 4:44 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• When they get their first tooth or at 1 year according to every pediatrician and dentist I have ever talked to. My one year old just had her second visit and my four year old has went every 6mon since she was 12 months
    lovemybabys1106

Answer by lovemybabys1106 at 7:17 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• wow Im shocked to read these responses because I have been trying for years (b/c my first son has issues) and against the dentists recommendations I took him in at 3 and he freaked. FREAKED. I have another appointment made for him when he turns 4.
    FDNYwife

Answer by FDNYwife at 8:11 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• It is usually at age 2 or 3. In the meantime, brush your baby's teeth with a soft cloth or a special SOFT smalll toothbrush and don't let eat sugary foods and desserts.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:16 PM on Jul. 13, 2010