5 month old shaking & getting nosebleeds

My little girl is 5 months old. For several weeks now, she will start shaking, it lasts for 15-30+ seconds at a time. Sometimes it happens several tomes in a 30 minute period & other times it might disappear for a day or two. Yesterday she woke up with a nosebleed so her doctor told me he wanted to see her. When he looked at her nose, he said she probably cut it with her nails. I stupidly agreed but today, I noticed it was bloody still (dry this time) so I carefully cleaned it out & there is no scratch & you can tell it comes from way up in her nose where her nails cant reach. AKA it WAS a nose bleed. Her nose was a little bloody in the other side too. He also claims the shaking is probably normal. I don't see how shaking & nosebleeds can be normal for a 5 month old. Has anyone else ever had this happen? What was the outcome?

MyKyRa07

Asked by MyKyRa07 at 2:04 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I would be asking them to check her for a seizure disorder. In an infant, they can show up by them simply "shaking".
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 2:05 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I'd say take her to another doctor. Yours sounds like they don't care too much. I would definitely get a second opinion.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 2:06 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Yeah, time for a second opinion. Neither of my kids shook or had nosebleeds. Don't go back to that doctor. Find one that actually gives a crap.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 2:08 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Definitely sounds like the shaking oculd be a seizure. Keep a video camera handy and record it when it happens. While our issue was different, recording it with the video feature on my camera was invaluable. I *thought* my little guy might be having asthma attacks at night. I had taken him in the next day and they said he sounded fine. So the next time it happened I grabbed my camera and recorded it. Took the camera to the doc, and sure enough he was having an asthma attack. So fi you can record i it the doctors can see EXACTLY what is happening. I know sometimes tics can look like what you are describing, but is important to determine whether they are ticks or seizures,
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 2:10 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Definitely talk to another doctor. I usually got nosebleeds as a toddler when it was very hot indoors. High elevation could be apart of it. I'm no where near a doctor but I would talk to a specialists.
    lcane

Answer by lcane at 2:10 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• listen to yourself~ask to get her into a neurologist for an opinion...you know something is not right~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 2:10 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I've known babies to shake upon awakening, it seems like it might be a low-blood sugar thing, but spontaneous nosebleeds are worrysome. I think a second opinion would be a good idea.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 2:10 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I don't see how shaking & nosebleeds can be normal for a 5 month old

2nd opinion!!!!!

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 2:11 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• No this never happened to us. It sounds odd to me. I would go to another Doctor in another practice/office ASAP for a second opinion. Do you have a very cold air conditioner? Do her arms & legs feel cold to the touch? Could she actually be cold? Could the air conditioner have dried out her sinuses? I don't know but it may be something to think about. But I would get a second opinion anyway. Hope she feel better soon.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:11 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I know it isn't from her startling & she isn't cold either. I was just thinking, she was in the hospital a month ago for several days. They did bloodwork & x-rays but couldn't find a problem. I had checked her temperature at 4:30 am because she was burning up & it was 104.8 so we rushed her to the ER. Her fontanel was also bulged. They kept her under observation but let her go once her temp. went down to 101. I don't think she had shaken before that incident though.
    MyKyRa07

Comment by MyKyRa07 (original poster) at 3:03 PM on Jul. 13, 2010