Do you give $ to panhandlers?

Or give $ to someone holding a sign on an off-ramp of a freeway?

bvannkissy

Asked by bvannkissy at 2:12 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes I do. Both of my children do too. We don't know the circumstances that have brought people to this point--some are legitimate, some are not. I understand that, but if a quarter from my change drawer in the car helps them get a bit of food. sobeit. Yesterday I paid for a cab to take an elderly woman home from the mall. She was wheelchair bound, had a traque(sp--that hole in the throat) tube and according to her story, her "care giver" left her there so she could go to the movies.
    My Christian/Catholic principles simply lead me to help others who need it. I do so liberally.
    Youngwifey2

Answer by Youngwifey2 at 5:59 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• NO i dont. Though there is a guy who goes around this one parking lot offering to wash windows I sometimes give him some money because at least he is willing to work or do something.
    djanowski775

Answer by djanowski775 at 2:14 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• My ex used to give out his business card to those saying they would work for food. Out of all the hundreds he had passed out only one took him up on the offer of a job. He was hired the next day.

I normally don't do it due to having the kids in the van with me. I won't take that chance with them.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 3:22 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• If I have a few pennies yes....I don't give dollar bills, I don't know why but I don't.

If there are people in grocery store parking lots or near liquor stores asking for money I don't give it to them but I might pick up something small, like a pre-made sandwich and give it to them on my way out. If they are truly needy they will appreciate that.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 2:17 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• No. I give to charities that I have selected based on how much of the money actually goes to the intended recipients and how I feel about the charity itself. IMO, to give money indiscriminately to anyone with a plastic container and a computer printed sign, is the equivalent of throwing your money on the ground--there is no accounting of where that money is going.

In addition to that I never give donations over the phone--too many scams. I tell those who call me to send me some information, and I'll look t over. I don;t think I have ever received anything from those organizations!

I will however, give to groups--like Boy Scout Troops--of they are in uniform, and it looks like an organized/coordinated effort. As well as firemen, EMS, and Police Departments when they do their town "drive through" fundraisers.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:20 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• not in area like that now
    but used to live in city
    i have given food to them on many occassions
    once this woman outside my building was asking for money to feed her kids
    i went back up to my aprtment and brought down bag full of food
    she complained about what food there was and also said she could not carry it all the way home
    she was lying, who would not take food if their kids did nt have any-most people who ask for money are using not for food
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 2:25 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• No, because I'm never on the freeway... lol

I do not give money to spangers on the street though either. I give food vouchers, food, sometimes clothes, sometimes blankets..ect.. And I volunteer at 2 homeless orgs in my city.. But I very rarely ever give money.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:14 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I have given money to people standing with signs.. I know they might not use it on food, but the way my brain works is crazy. I seriously burst into tears and feel so horrible for them..
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:14 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• No. I will often go to a fast food place, and buy them lunch or dinner and bring back to them, but I never give them cash.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 2:16 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• no,its illegal here to beg,and we have several shelters in town to help them. There's no reason to be begging people for money here.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:16 PM on Jul. 13, 2010