How do I get my 1 year old to hold his sippy cup?

My son just turned 1 and did great on weaning from a bottle. When he did use his bottle he never was good at holding it up when the milk got low. Now that he's started his sippy, he can hold it, but it doesnt do any good unlee he tilts it up to get the milk out. How can I teach him to tilt it up? As soon as I try to show him he just lets me do all the work so I set the sippy down and he picks it up and does the same thing.

1st_time_mom23

Asked by 1st_time_mom23 at 2:16 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son does the same thing. I would say get another sippy and hold it like your drinking out of it and show him how to tip it back and maybe he will catch on since kids love to copy what they see others doing... Good Luck :)
    EJsHottMama

Answer by EJsHottMama at 2:19 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• try the cups with the straws
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 2:19 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• both ideas are great will definately try them
    1st_time_mom23

Comment by 1st_time_mom23 (original poster) at 2:23 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Make sure the cup is small. I found that they had to tilt more with a larger cup. The straw idea is good, but it teaches them not to tilt the cup, making it more confusing.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:26 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Straw cups are better. They don't need to be tipped and are better for mouth, jaw development.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:56 PM on Jul. 13, 2010