Why wouldn't they like us?

The people who live in the house behind us invited us over one night to hang out. We had a lot of fun and they seemed to as well. It was nice to hang out with a seemingly normal couple who had kids about the same age as our little ones. I brought over some tequila and margarita mix. It was getting late and the kids were getting tired so we came home and we were going to see if my mom would watch the kids so we could go back (since they were going to be sleeping it was not going to be much work on her part.) But she was already asleep so we decided to go to bed. The next day I asked for my tequila back. I left it with the intent of coming back. They gave it back (its a $45 bottle of Don Julio Blanco and had just been opened) but since then the wife has been a super B!7c&. Her very social daughter started talking to us which is something she has always done. We greet her with a smile always. The mom said quite loudly and rude...

ABusyBee

Asked by ABusyBee at 2:21 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Relationships

• Geez, even if they WERE expecting you to leave the bottle and were disappointed that you didn't, that's no reason to tell her kids not to talk to you and refer to you as "those people".
    This woman sounds a little extreme to me. You can only be her friend if you leave her some booze? Lame.

Why not ask her what the problem is, or ask her husband if she was somehow offended.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 2:39 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• maybe tequilla makes her an angry mean drunk bitch
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 2:50 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• She was mad that you wanted your booze back perhaps???

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:23 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• My guess is that they thought it was rude to ask for the tequila back. Next time, bring a cheap bottle and leave it. Leave the expensive stuff at home.
    She probably thought they scored a great bottle of juice and is upset that is not the case. Be glad you know what she is like NOW before you became great friends.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:24 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• "Don't talk to those people!"
    She shoots me dirty looks all the time. Her husband is pleasant toward us but we invited them over for dinner one night and they never came:(
    ABusyBee

Comment by ABusyBee (original poster) at 2:22 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Hmm.. I would expect to keep something like that if a couple left it at my house..In fact, I would have walked it over to you the next morning.. Dont let it get to you.. you don't need to be a part of those moochers anyway!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:23 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Don't know. It might not even have anything to do with the tequila. Maybe I'm different from most, but if you would have brought the tequila to my house and left it, I would have expected you to want it back. When I take beer (that's what I drink) to someone's house and I don't finish it, I take the rest home with me. I bought it! So who knows what their problem is.
    TarLion

Answer by TarLion at 2:27 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I would have taken cheap stuff but that is all we had lol...
    I just cant see someone being mad because I asked for something of MINE back.
    ABusyBee

Comment by ABusyBee (original poster) at 2:29 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Some people are like that--only it in for the goods! Like Sleeping Beautee said--thank goodness you found out early that's how she was
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:29 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• My thoughts are:

They most likely thought/felt that the tequila was a "gift" not something you were going to come back for. I know I don't go back and get things like that when I leave them at someone else's home. So they maybe like me in that aspect. It could have just very well been a misunderstanding, and they felt that it was rude for you to come back and get your bottle(unless of course you have made it clear prior that you would be taking it home). I'm not saying it was or wasn't, just sharing a perspective.

I also think that your mom is helping any. If it was originally just a misunderstanding. Your mothers behaviour would really make that even worse I would think, and would cause someone NOT to want to work it out.

If this sort of discontent between so many could be started over so little. I would think it's best that you guys aren't friends or really didn't start to develop a friendship.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:30 PM on Jul. 13, 2010