Does your LO have a TV in their room? Why or Why not?

And if they do how old were they when you got it for them? My SIL just recently bought DS(16 months) a mickey mouse TV for his room.I honestly don't care for him having it, I only have the DVD player hooked up to it and he watches it about an hour a day. But she never asked if it was okay, and I know some parents would be totally against it. Just wondering where everyone else stands.

BlainesMommy09

Asked by BlainesMommy09 at 2:38 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• Uhm...sounds like my in laws! lol
    No, I wouldn't want a tv in my kiddos room. It's seriously not needed.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 2:40 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• No.. My son is 18 and he has never had a tv in his room.

Computers..yes.. TV.. no.

We aren't big TV watches, so I never saw the point in him having a tv in his room. And he's never asked for or wanted one either.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:40 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• My son is 2 and half and still in bed with me and my boyfriend. We do not own a TV at all.

I don't like TV - I hate advertisements etc.... I don't mind my son watching cartoons etc...although he rarely does..but when he does its usually from players online on different channels that have no ads. I know TV never hurt me so I don't despise it..I just would prefer it if my son didn't watch it I suppose. I am fairly relaxed about it...I just have no desire to watch TV myself and neither does my boyfriend so we just don't have one.

He is more interested in running about anyway and I hope it stays that way :)
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 2:41 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• my dd has a tv vhs combo in her room. she can work the tv and xbox in the livingroom but not the one in her room. she only has a few movies she watches in her room, usually before she goes to sleep, after we have already read a few stories.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 2:41 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• My kids do but they don't have cable hooked up to it so they only get the basic channels.......out of which there is only one with kids shows and normally they're educational. They also watch movies on the DVD players, normally though they only watch it about once a week. My kids would rather play or play video games than watch TV.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 2:41 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Nope neither of my kids do and they wont until they finish high school, just like I did when I was younger.

There's no need for tv's in the bedroom.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 2:42 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• my mom got my girls a tv for thier room when they were 4. it was hooked up to the v-smile and dvd player.not reception or cable. i think it was more for us not having to watch the cartoon all the time. 16 months is young for a tv in thier room but as long as he knows the restrictions and knows it is not a toy
    chris13

Answer by chris13 at 2:44 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• We only have a tv in the living room at our house. My kids are 13, 2, and 2. I don't like electronics of any kind in bedrooms. I don't like my kids, myself, or my husband spending too much time watching tv, and having only one helps limit it for everyone. If my older daughter had a tv or computer in her room we'd never see her, and I suspect she wouldn't get enough sleep either. As long as the little ones couldn't reach it I guess it wouldn't be too much of a problem at this point, but I don't want to start down that road.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:48 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• there is a great book on the topic. Well more than one, here is a fav
    The Plug-In Drug: Television, Computers, and Family Life by Marie Winn

it's not a good idea to have a TV in the bedrm
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 2:49 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• My kids (10, 8 and 1) do not have TVs in their rooms, and never will. Why? There is no reason for it. Multiple studies show that kids who have a tv in their room have lower reading scores and do worse in school (I know all of these people will now tell me how their kid has a TV and their kid is so smart...) The AAP says NO tv watching before 2 yrs old as studies have shown it may increase a child's risk for ADHD, and young kids who watch TV have lower vocabularies.
    My kids have books and legos in their room, and if that is not enough to keep them entertained, then they can go outside and run around!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:49 PM on Jul. 13, 2010