Is it easier to give an 8 month old a sippy cup with milk rather than a bottle? And if so what kind of sippy cup?

excitedmommy22

Asked by excitedmommy22 at 2:40 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It really depends on the child.... There are sometimes my son won't take his cup if it has milk in it other times he loves it.... As for what kind of sippy cup again it depends on the child. My daughter loved Playtex cup and wouldn't drink from anything else.... My son on the other had wanted nothing to do with Playtex and will only drink from Learning Curve cups.... And some kids will drink from any sippy you give them.
    EJsHottMama

Answer by EJsHottMama at 2:43 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I was always told to never give a baby anything in a bottle except formula. Try a sippy cup with a soft tip and handles.
    hornz102485

Answer by hornz102485 at 2:44 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I totally got rid of my son's bottle at 8 months. He took very very well to the soft straw cups and I figured if he does that good with a cup there is no longer any use in having a bottle at all.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 2:45 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Are you talking about formula? Breastmilk? Cows milk?

I have always heard ONLY formula(or breastmilk) in the bottle, NEVER formula in the sippy sup. Sippy cups should be used for a short time as baby/toddler learns to drink form a regular cup. They are not good for oral development and should not be overused.

If you have a breastfed baby who is refusing a bottle, you can certainly try a sippy cup.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:45 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I'm a big fan of aveeno but if you can get your little one to use one of those thermos brand cups with the straw, that's the best.
    http://www.amazon.com/Thermos-Foogo-Leak-Proof-Ounce-Months/dp/B000O3GCEG
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0034JVYUE/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000O3GCEG&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0CACMZF944RZC5MCXCQ5
    lcane

Answer by lcane at 2:45 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Straw cups are better. They don't need to be tipped and are better for mouth, jaw development.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:53 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• for my kids it was. And we used the nuk ones with the soft tops.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 3:15 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I learned from a girl on here that it was easier to give a straw sippy cup rather than a regular sippy they have to learn to tip up. Low and behold she was right. I gave my 7 month old son the straw cup through the day, he is just now 9 months and drinks from it like a champ. He still gets his bottle at nap and bed times.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 3:19 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• The straw type with the handles are great at this age. They don't have to tip them up and the handles make it easier for them to grip.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 9:51 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Babies have sucking needs and should have bottles of formula. Breastfed babies spend hours every day at the breast. We don't know the consequences of not letting babies have their sucking needs met. It's like a big uncontrolled experiment. It could be a factor in our high obesity rate, our high divorce rate, or other problems. There is no benefit of taking bottles away. Sippy cups can hurt face development.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:17 AM on Jul. 14, 2010