quantity or quality- (kind of sad)

I recently had a medical episode that thought it turned out to be pretty much OK, it looked like it could have been bad and eventually fatal. I was told that I should think of getting affairs in order just in case.
turns out I didn't get the dreaded diagnosis we were all afraid of, but it did get me to thinking-
when I was a teen, my mom insisted that I have 10 shirts that I didn't like so much vs 5 that I loved.
I've always been a quality over quantity person.
While I was getting medical care I was deciding what kind of trips we could possibly take to make the most of the time left if my diagnosis was bad.
my husband was shocked by my reaction- stating that there would be no trips, that money would be spent on my care, not frivolous things like fun.
so I am getting my living will and regular will in order, (I think everyone should)
my hubby won't even discuss it.
anyone else?

ItsMe89

Asked by ItsMe89 at 2:52 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Health

• Having dealt with this question more times than I would have liked to, I would say that quality of life is very important. I have seen my grandparents, fil and some friends grapple with this issue. They all decided that life is for living and once their quality of life was not what they wanted, it was time to stop fifhting. It was not easy. And it will never be easy for those who are potentially left behind.

Having a will, living will and medical power of attorney are very important to have. It makes sure that you and your loved ones (kids) are taken care of according to your wishes. It is not morbid, just common sense.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 3:06 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• You definitely need a will for sure. Everyone needs to have one. When my first husband kiiled himself, he did not have a will. HIs Life Insurance policy was supposed to go to his ex-wife, and it stated in the policy if he shall so divorce his ex then the new wife would get the money, well, because he had 2 kids, she got all of it. I got nothing, not the house, car, u name it. NOTHING!!! We have a will now that we NEED to revise, now that our kids are older. So get your will done and anything else.

And, BTW, glad you are ok.
    MamaKelly45

Answer by MamaKelly45 at 3:04 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• We are a military family, and for us a will is VERY important! I think that you should do what makes you happiest, as long as it isnt negatively affecting your family! GL
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 2:57 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I hope I would be like you! But in reality I would probably be scared and try to prolong the inevitable.

This hits home for me, because my parents have both been fighting cancer for years and while I am so happy they are still here, my dad's quality of life is not good.

My mom has talked about if she gets sick again, she won't seek treatment. Which makes me very sad, but I think I have come to terms with it. But I don't like it at all. I just have to remember it is not all about me.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:58 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• thanks for the heads up MamaKelly45!
    I'm going to get on things even faster after hearing your story-

thanks ladies!
    ItsMe89

Comment by ItsMe89 (original poster) at 3:08 PM on Jul. 13, 2010