What age did you first take your child on vacation?

We are going on vacation in July with my 13 mos old so just wondering if you all have any tips?

Asked by rubi at 8:25 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Travel

• My daughter was three months old. My advice is to share the load with hubby or a friend; if you aren't breast feeding, treat yourself to premade formula; scout out the areas your baby can be changed and fed comfortably when or before you arrive at your lodging and your activity; expect to be thrown off a bit and don't let it stress you (I flew with a screaming baby for more than an hour! How come airplanes don't have baby changing facilities?) If you can, take some breaks for yourself and with your SO if you have a trustworthy helper so you can really enjoy the trip and have the energy to enjoy it with your child too.

Answer by manna1qd at 8:32 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• My youngest was 2 and the oldest was 6

Answer by CookieMama at 8:34 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• The youngest I took my kids on vacation was at 3 months. We kinda had no choice, family lives very far away. It wasnt as bad as I thought it was going to be. I just made sure to be prepared. I packed my own formula and diapers, just in case they dont have your brands where you are going. Try not to stress over it and just kinda do it. At 13 months though, you should be fine..I never had any problems with my kids when we traveled. Good luck and have fun!

Answer by BKNYMommy at 8:40 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• We went when our youngest was 4 months. Take lots of snacks and books to keep them occupied. Good luck.

Answer by Mimomof3boys at 9:48 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• We took trips when both our boys were under a year old. They always did well in the car. Toys and snacks always helped!

Answer by Cokebear at 9:59 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Just watched the show Jon and Kate plus 8...they traveled with their 8 darlings ...her advice was lots of snacks. I have also traveled with my 2 and 5 year olds across country. I went to the dollar store and bought 20 dollars worth of new toys. I passed them out every 50 - 100 miles or so and they had a ball exploring their new things. With a 13 month old I would focus on texture toys and visual toys...if you are traveling by car you could place a baby safe mirror(available at wal-mart) on the back of the seat..that provides great entertainment. If you are traveling by plane be sure to pack chewy items for air pressure can be hard on babies ears...pacifiers do come in handy some times. LOL good luck ..hope ya have fun!

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 10:05 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• First time ever was at 3 months and he did pretty good in the plane. Just make sure you give the baby a bottle at take off and landing so their ears won't pop.

Answer by ejshemil at 11:14 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• We are taking our first vacation with our daughter in about 2 weeks. She will be 19 months old. We are not flying though. I guess I am really no help to you at all but thanks to all the suggestions from the other moms.

Answer by Jordyn1202 at 9:52 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I drove down to the Jersey shore and joined some friends at their Jersey shore house and my little one enjoyed the beach and sand at about a year of age.

My tip: Don't forget the camera so you can capture the moment that will be the memories for tomorrow.

Answer by bergencounty at 1:30 AM on Oct. 4, 2008