is it ok to give an 11 month old cows milk?

mandielynn23

Asked by mandielynn23 at 3:05 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You are supposed to wait until 1 year. You can start introducing it, but I would keep up with the formula for a few more weeks.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:06 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• It is best to discuss this with your ped. Our 11 month old will start milk at 12 months.
    countryspun

Answer by countryspun at 3:06 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• LO's not going to die but it's not the best choice.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:07 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I started putting an oz in my sons formula at 11 months. Then at a year he was half formula and half milk. then a few weeks later all milk.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 3:10 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• it's ok to start it to get baby adjusted to it. but i would do it a little at a time and stil give mostly formula. maybe only a few oz of milk a day
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 3:11 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• you stated in your question, the answer... it is COWS breast milk. No. Not ok for any human.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:12 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Talk to your pedi first, I started the transition to formula when Nathan was about 10 1/2 months, he's been on ever since. We did start slowly, 2 oz 2x a day and gradually increased it.

LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 3:13 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Cow's milk is perfectly fine and even advantageous for humans to drink. I personally wouldn't introduce cow's milk until after a full year if not later. Please talk to your pedi.
    SMH2010

Answer by SMH2010 at 3:20 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• i will definately talk to his doc 1st. thanks for all your advice & opinions! :)
    mandielynn23

Comment by mandielynn23 (original poster) at 3:22 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Well, look at it this way, What did they do in the olden days??? Breast or cow's milk. When my older one (he was a foster child then), was born, he was on State Aid for formula, nothing worked, he would scream and scream for hours on end. At 4 months old, I finally had had enough of DRr's telling to use this one or that one. So anyways, I put him on whole milk and 3 meals a day (meaning cereal and fruit) and he SHUT UP completely. Totally different kid after that, I was at my wit's end because he would cry non-stop. SO, take it from experience, they didn't use to have formula at all.
    MamaKelly45

Answer by MamaKelly45 at 3:27 PM on Jul. 13, 2010