autism question...mine is almost three, so i am new to this

she has had some improvements, birth to three, school system in fall, therapists in home, autism doc to diag. for more therapy

she does not say her name (she did when she was one and a half but laguage went away) she does speak some..at a level of a child that is one yr 9 months and she is three yrs old

question....any way to help her with her name, is it an identity thing??

fiatpax

Asked by fiatpax at 3:06 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Kids with autism can have issues with the concept of self. Often they will refer to themselves by their name,not me. Its confusing for them,like when they see themselves in a mirror and you say"that's you" they'll think that's who that is...you! Pronouns are often an issue. my son is 9 and still if you show him a pic of himself,he'll say thats Bergen,not thats me.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:12 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• My dd had issues with this. And also, calling other people by name, even calling me mama.

I would put her on my lap facing me, and I would take my hand and put it on my chest and say mama several times...

then I would do it to her....Maddie....

Then I would take her hand and put it on my chest and say mama.....several times...then make her pat her own chest and say Maddie....over and over

Eventually she began to say it after me and I went crazy with the excitement and praise.

Before long she did it only with the patting of the chest....and then, all by herself. I think it helped her recognize individuals more and also helped when introducing someone.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:18 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• In a way. Some kids will eventually get it,some just adjust to telling you what you want to hear without understanding the concept. As long as she can come to some sort of understanding of what she is expected to answer and can recognize herself in a pic,I wouldn't be too worried. Autistic kids make great strides with their issues once the therapy begins,especially when they get into a classroom setting. Do you have an Early Childhood program up there? They did wonders for my son.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:20 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I'd say encourage whatever she's interested in.Let her absorb it all.Talk to her as much as possible.Keep a dialogue going with whatever you happen to be doing at the time when she's around. Describe everything you do,draw her into it,everything you see,have her look at what you're describing. Get a couple of scrabble games and sit down with her and spell out words. Have her try to copy you. The head banging is probably from frustration of not understanding what she sees,hears,feels. Once you get that language going,you should see that disappear.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:41 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• As to helping her learn her name...magnetic letters. Spell it out for her and then say it as you are pointing at her. Yeah yeah it's not polite to point..blah blah blah. LOL Label everything in the house to help her learn common items. My boys know who they are and who other people in the family are, but it did take a few weeks of speech therapy to get them there.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:22 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• guess like almost everything else dealing with autism

it is a wait and see?
    fiatpax

Comment by fiatpax (original poster) at 3:16 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• she has said I and mine

fiatpax

• she has been in birth to three at home therapy for a year (about to end) three therapies a week, speech, OT and social play

seeing doc so when he writes up where she falls in spectrum, we get on waiting list for more in home therapies- one to one and a half yrs long wait

husband and i put her in daycare at two years old, part time two days a week, 5 hours each day, because we knew something not right, her ped said she was "quirky" when we said at one year 10 months that she smashes her head into the wall
    fiatpax

Comment by fiatpax (original poster) at 3:33 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• head banging stopped almost 100% when red 40 was taken out of her diet, her rash went away 9the rash the doc said was winter skin, then after months said food reaction, i kept food jouranl, found red dye was it, called ped, he said it was a therey, i said well stop that theary in her chart because that is what it is0

but yes tantrums are from being frustrated but also she has modulation with her other issues so therapists say wow, she varies so much!
    fiatpax

Comment by fiatpax (original poster) at 3:47 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• i have been working on pointing and she is now pointing at times
    we have magnetic letters and numbers and face parts on frig
    she seems to get the idea of letter and numbers, of course can not name one correctly
    some days will look in mirror and makes faces and examines her face, other days she is in no way wanting to look in a mirror
    she likes to say hello into fans, so we try to always use hello and isabel when we play this game
    fiatpax

Comment by fiatpax (original poster) at 10:21 AM on Jul. 14, 2010