Do all charter schools have waiting lists?

momluja

Asked by momluja at 3:48 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in

• ours dont,but they are for special needs kids and at risk kids. My son is attending one this fall for autism.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:49 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• The ones here do. Most have higher standards for academics and people want better educations for their kids.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:51 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Many have waiting list because most states limit the number of children that can be enrolled per school year.

I know my son's always had a waiting list, but since he always pre-registered he was always placed and never put on the wait list.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:51 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• What pixie_trix said is true. Many states have laws that limit the number of kids enrolled in a charter school, as well as they limit the number of charter schools in the state. Also, I know that the charter schools near me don't have any geographical limits so you don't necessarily have to live in that city or county to attend the charter school. There are 2 charter schools near me, and both of them had over 1000 applicants for 130 kindergarten spots. I would really like my kids to go to a charter school, and I'm hoping that in the 2 years until my son starts school, my state will relax some of the laws a little bit.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 8:45 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Not around here. Lots of parents pull their kids out of traditional school during the year and take them to the charter school and they always get in.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 9:33 AM on Jul. 19, 2010