Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What rights could a father get to his child?

I was 19 years old when I got pregnant (accidentally) by my boyfriend at the time. When I told him, he broke up with me and wanted me to have an abortion. He wanted to come back about a month before the baby was due. I gave him another chance. When the baby was 2 months old he told me he wanted to get legal rights to the infant. He had previously told me we would get married after we both finished college and got careers. I agreed to this, so I questioned why he wouldn't just wait and get his rights when we were married. He told me he did not want to wait that long. Now, he is taking me to court. Does anyone know what rights could my (ex-boyfriend now) could possibly get in the state of south carolina?

*****Also, he was adopted by a man he lives with (that's of no relation to him) one month before the baby was born that he now calls his "dad" and he helps my ex pay for the court fees, lawyer, etc. Should I be worried this i

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:49 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

Answers (12)
  • Is he on the birth certificate?

    Answer by CAGirl4 at 3:51 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

  • I'm guessing he's looking to get partial or full custody. Most states require a DNA test before they will go forth on any claim.

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:51 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

  • He can get every right that you have if this is his child. If he gets a DNA test it doesn't matter if he left for 10years, he's back now

    Answer by DomoniqueWS at 3:54 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

  • I hate to be the downer, but yes I'd be worried.
    I'd see a lawyer as soon as you could, document all you could on the things you do with your kid that would put you in a positive light and get all the support you can.

    I hope it works out for you

    Answer by ItsMe89 at 3:56 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

  • If you're not married you need to have a custody arrangement, he has as much right to the baby as you.

    Answer by UpSheRises at 4:01 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

  • what rights "could" a father get? any of the rights the mother has. it's that simple.

    Answer by aliceinalgonac at 5:04 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

  • Honey, it is not what rights he can "get", he already has rights because he is the father. You need to get a lawyer and start thinking about how you are going to share custody of the child that you have together.

    Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:29 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

  • Agree with maggiemom, he is the father therefore he has he same rights to his child that you do no matter what you say to him. Sounds to me as if he is going to get custody not rights. If I were you, I would get a lawyer because he left once and unless there is a date set and invites sent out for a wedding I wouldn't count on it.

    Answer by carmadsmom at 7:21 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

  • The same rights as you. If he has a home, income and a good attorney he can get full custody and you will be paying child support. You are no better than he is when it comes to being the child's parent.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 7:33 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

  • I agree that he has just as much rights as you. He could get physical custody and get support from you. In most states he would get joint decision making custody, you would get physical custody for now, and he would get visitation. You would get support. As the child got older he would get more and more visitation.

    If you are breastfeeding you will be more likely to get custody and he may get less visitation. You may be able to relactate if you aren't breastfeeding.


    Answer by Gailll at 1:14 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.