How do you get your kids to clean?

What ages are they?

mommy16love

Asked by mommy16love at 3:55 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• well, I'm a bad housekeeper, so we do our best around here to make sure you can see the floor- but my SIL is a neat freak and her kids seem to do well with singing song about cleaning up, while they clean up. Making a game out of it.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 3:59 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Well, my son's only 9 months, so we have some time yet, but...

When I was growing up, we were taught to put our toys away and clean up after ourselves as we were able (pretty much as soon as a baby can walk they can start to learn to put toys away). That's not to say we always did a good job, but it was a requirement as soon as we were old enough to know better (different jobs as we grow). By 5 most kids are interesting in "helping" with dishes and stuff, and my mom would let us. As soon as we were able to do a good job, we were given regular chores. We didn't always like it, but it was pretty clear we didn't have a choice, and I appreciate that now.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 4:00 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• When my daugther was little I taught preschool. I found the best way to motivate the kids to pick up was to make it like a game. I would put on fun kids songs and tell them "we're going to see if all the toys can be picked up before the song ends". Or I'd break it up in parts of the room for each song when it was really messy.

I used to give my daugther deadlines: clean your room before lunch, then you can play on the computer after lunch. Or I would say let's spend 30 minutes cleaning and see how much we can get done.

Although chore charts do well with some kids, I wasn't great at keeping track hehe.
    cwahmommie

Answer by cwahmommie at 4:02 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I tell my dd, age 2, to help clean up her toys. She does when I tell her but her attention span isnt that great. As long as she helps a little!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 4:04 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• My kids are 5 and 4 and they are actually cleaning their rooms as I am typing this. There is not an option in our house of if they are going to do it or not. When I say it is time to clean their rooms or whatever, they just do it. I have never had an issue with them not doing it.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 4:06 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I brib, if they want something or want me to do something, then they have to pull thier weight around here too.. ;)
    Hippiegirl1975

Answer by Hippiegirl1975 at 4:18 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• DD is 3 and the little boy I nanny is 2.5, so at the end of the day, I make it a race and tell them to see how fast they can clean up the nursery. Kids love competition! Also, they're counting so well now, so sometimes i have them count each toy they put away, and they like that as well.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 4:22 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• My kids are 13 and 11. They do it because I tell them to do it. They were taught everyone who lives in the house pitches in. They would be grounded if I told them to do something and they didn't. They complain sometimes but they get over it.
    mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 4:26 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Julita is 6 and she helps clean. She is part of this family and everyone shares the workload. I'm not sure I understand the "how do you get them to" part of your question though. She does it because it is required of her. She doesn't have a choice. That said, she only does age-appropriate jobs and once they're complete we can relax, enjoy ourselves, and have fun!
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 4:57 PM on Jul. 13, 2010