Pagan Sisters, Why is the South FIRE?

A member of my Circle brought her Muggle ;-) fiance to one of our gatherings to observe (totally OK) and as we were explaining to him the Quarters and what they represent, he asked "Why" for some of the different correspondences. I'm sorry to say I didn't have a definite answer, other than "Tradition".

So, my Sisters in the Lady and Lord, what are your correspondences for FIRE and do you call it with the South? Why?

PS, I'm doing this as 4 separate questions for to play the points game. :-P

MamaK88

Asked by MamaK88 at 3:56 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• The elements and their directional associations were based on the writings of Empedocles which became the roots of greek philosophy. In regards to the elements and their directions I believe it was in respect to greece itself. The Mountains were to the North, thus representing Earth, Desert to the South, Ocean to the West and the sun rose from the east, thus representing air as it was skyward.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:23 PM on Jul. 13, 2010