Pagan Sisters, Why is the West WATER?

A member of my Circle brought her Muggle ;-) fiance to one of our gatherings to observe (totally OK) and as we were explaining to him the Quarters and what they represent, he asked "Why" for some of the different correspondences. I'm sorry to say I didn't have a definite answer, other than "Tradition".

So, my Sisters in the Lady and Lord, what are your correspondences for WATER and do you call it with the West? Why?

PS, I'm doing this as 4 separate questions for to play the points game. :-P

MamaK88

Asked by MamaK88 at 3:57 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• The elements and their directional associations were based on the writings of Empedocles which became the roots of greek philosophy. In regards to the elements and their directions I believe it was in respect to greece itself. The Mountains were to the North, thus representing Earth, Desert to the South, Ocean to the West and the sun rose from the east, thus representing air as it was skyward.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:23 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Interestingly enough Celtic beliefs had the Earth as South, the East as Fire and the North as Air. West still remained Water, but in consideration to where the belief originated we can see similarities in respect to the geography.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:28 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I don't know. I was ata circle last night and they had the cakes and ale on the wwest coner and said don't go out that way it is the west gate to the dead. Unfortunitly I was sitting right next to it lol. But I don't know why but I willl ask.
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 4:00 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I don't think there is any designated representation other then if that is how you choose to call the corners. If that is how you envoke your elements. Different people use different ceremonies. I never noticed any hard, and fast rules for the elements.
    PrdMilWife

Answer by PrdMilWife at 4:10 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Kristi, thank you that was both entertaining and enlighting. I am soo glad you were able to answer.
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 4:27 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Yeah, I told him it kinda depended on the group. i.e. a group on the East Coast might have WATER in the East as that's where the Big Water is...

I think it's more on what beliefs the group holds and where those originated. For example any pagan belief based in Hellenic polytheism will have North as Eart, whereas a group based on Celtic beliefs will have South as Earth. However most will take on Earth as being North based on Greek or Roman beliefs due to it's vast influence as the Roman Empire spread. Those are held up today based on tradition
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:38 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• just wanted to say these questions have been a fascinating learning experience(s)! i never knew that each element was tied to a direction in Paganism, makes sense tho.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:27 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• What Kristi said.
    DebbieA

Answer by DebbieA at 1:01 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

MamaK88

Comment by MamaK88 (original poster) at 4:31 PM on Jul. 13, 2010