What to do go back to school or just get another job?

I'm a divorced mother of two childeren 14yr old son and 10yr old daughter.I lost my job a few months ago and am about to finally get my unemployment.I thought now would be the right time to go back to school with having that little extra income but my fiance doesn't think its a good idea because with kids and school their will be no time left for him.I don't know what to do?I really think it is time for me to go back and its an 18month program to be a surgical tech. and its something I've always wanted to do.I know its gonna be hard because I might even have to work a few nights a week to help with clothes and activities for my childeren.Please someone that knows or has been here please give me some good advi ce.I could really use it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:58 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Money & Work

• Getting unemployment does not mean live on it so you can go to school. It is there to help you pay bills and get you through until you can find another job. So my advice would be to find another job, stop drawing unemployment, and then find the time to go back to school.

Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 4:09 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I work full-time and go to school part-time. I think most adults are capable of working, going to school, and having relationships with all family members.

If SO needs so much of your time you can't do either one, i'd say it's time to let go of some baggage.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:11 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I would go to school. I went to graduate school full time while working full time. It can be done, but it can be tough on both of you. However, if your fiance is extremely opposed to you going back to school, you may end up in a situation where you have to choose between the two. Good luck!
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 4:11 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• If all you've been working at are deadend jobs then I'd go for it. It will give you a chance at a future and show your kids that mommy could do it and so can they. I realize that most will say get a job and get off unemployment but I'd rather pay for someone's unemployent for 18 months then pay for it several times over as they get stuck in deadend job one after another. This could be your chance at bettering your education. If your fiance doesn't like it then maybe you need to rethink him. He should be encouraging you to become the best you can become. Go for it!
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 4:35 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Katt709 depending on the state unemployment will pay you if you got to school full time they allow that . she is not doing anything wrong by going back to school while on unemployment.
    karglynn

Answer by karglynn at 4:45 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Go back to school if you can.It will be tough but in the scheme of things 18 months is not that long.You will be setting an example for your children.I would be concerned about a fiance that would have you settle for less in a job you spend a large part of your waking hours doing.He can read,get a hobby because a job you love can only make a happier life for all of you.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 4:55 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• You said it's something you have always wanted to do. You only live once. Your family can make it work. Talk it over again and discuss how you can actually schedule together time. Your kids are old enough to help out a little too. If you get too much resistance you might even have to reconsider if this is the right relationship for you. GL
    Anonymous

• If you can attend school while collecting unemployment, then definitely do so.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:37 AM on Jul. 14, 2010